Hi Daniela.

That's strange.  And no, these files do not need to be in a particular
directory (In fact, this error is completely independent of the
aroma.affmetrix package).  The error you get suggests the file is empty.
When you say it "seems to be fine", what does that mean?  Alternatively,
what does this give:

file.info("MoGene-1_0-st-v1.probe.tab")

This should be a decent sized file.  The ZIP file that you get from
Affymetrix is 23MB, so unzipped it will be a lot larger.

Cheers,
Mark