Hi Henrik,
thanks for your quick reply.
Our goal is to reproduce the results of Affymetrix Powertools by using
our own implementation (written in Java) for normalization and median
polish:
Until now we can reproduce the normalization and we did it as follows:
(Affymetrix 500k)
Normalization:
1) We executed the Affymetrix Powertools program "apt-cel-
transformer":
apt-cel-transformer -d Mapping250K_Nsp.cdf -c quant-norm.sketch=0 --
out-dir outputFolder inputFiles (all values are used for
normalization, not only pm)
2) Then, we executed the normalization step as well using
aroma.affymetrix:
cdf <- AffymetrixCdfFile$byChipType("Mapping250K_Nsp");
cs <- AffymetrixCelSet$byName("Project1", cdf=cdf);
qn <- QuantileNormalization(cs);
csN <- process(qn);
3) After that we extracted several, random chosen SNPs from the binary
CEL files and compared the results, which were identical for all three
approaches (ours, affymetrix powertools and aroma.affymetrix).
So far so good.
---------------------
The next step is the implementation of median polish where we run into
trouble:
Median Polish: (apt-cel-transformer is included in this script "apt-
probeset-summarize")
1) apt-probeset-summarize --cdf-file Mapping250K_Nsp.cdf --out-dir
outDirectory  --cel-files inputFiles -a quant-norm.sketch=0,med-
polish,expr.genotype=true
2)aroma:
 plm <- RmaPlm(csN, flavor="oligo");
 fit(plm);
ces <- getChipEffectSet(plm);
unitNames <- getUnitNames(cdf);
theta <- extractTheta(ces,groups=1:2);
theta <- log2(theta);
dimnames(theta)[[1]] <- unitNames;
3)
Unfortunately, we could not reproduce neither the values from the
powertools nor from aroma.affymetrix (using oligo) with our
implementation. All are going in the same direction but we didn't get
mathematical exact results (Some SNPs are pretty close)
So the point where we stuck at the moment is if (1) we are missing a
step out what has to be done between normalization and median polish
(for example the log2 transformation is done at the powertools before
median polish and in aroma after median polish) or (2) we maybe have
an error in reasoning while reading out the values (extractTheta).

So thanks again for aroma.affymetrix, it helps a lot to interpret our
results.
Cheers Sebastian