Dear Noman and Jawad,
Thanks a million, brothers, for taking time out to explain the meaning of this beautiful verse. True, this piece of poetry captivates you irrespective of your caste or religion - such is the power of God and of music. True religion is one which transcendes all boundaries created by man and unites all. I feel blessed on just hearing this song.

I still am not clear about the exact meaning of the chant 'Hasb-e-Rabi Jallallah' and the words 'maafi-qalbi'. Can you kindly translate them?
Jawad, you mention that you're not in the position to describe the meanings of 'Subhan', 'Adnan' and 'Manan'. I am very curious now to know why.

Also one more thing - when ARR sings 'Ya Qayum', there is a background chorus singing some verse, which I couldnt catch. Can you tell me what that is and the meaning?

Thanking you again,
May God bless you,
Cheers,
Jitesh

edwardian10 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Shivu,
Although it's very difficult as most of the words (especially the
beautiful names of Allah) are in Arabic, I will try my best to give
u the meaning.

Ahl-e-talab aja tum ko bulai ahed Allah
zikr se burh ke nahin hai amal koiee hai farman-e-rasool Allah
nijaat milti hai unko yaqeenan karein jo qalb se zikr Allah
zikr se sur kat-ta hai Nafs ka beshaq zikr hai saif-ullah

Those of you, who seek Allah's attention, Come, as you are called by
Allah.
There is no better deed than ZIKR, said the Holy Prophet of Allah.
And those who do ZIKR of Allah from core of their hearts, become
successful.
And Zikr cuts Nafs (a human being's desire to do whatever he wants,
good or bad but used mostly for the desire to do evil things) so
Zikr is sword of Allah.

zikr aman hai zikr hai fatah zikr shifa hai zikr hai dawa
Allah ho baqimil qule fani aur fana hai sub wo muqab-Allah

Zikr is peace, Zikr is victory, Zikr is remedy, and Zikr is prayer
(I can't give exact meaning of the second line but it means
something like this)
Only Allah is eternal and will be there when nothing else will be
there, as everything other than Allah will get destroyed one day.

Hasb-e-Rabi Jallallah, maafi-qalbi gher-ullah
noor-e-Muhammad sallallah, haq laillaha illallah

hu... Allah hu... Allah hu

Hasb-e-Rabi Jallallah, maafi-qalbi gherullah
noor-e-Muhammad sallallah, haq laillaha illallah

Apart form Allah subhan ta alah's greatness,
Take anything other than Allah out of your heart
And leave Light of Muhammad (May peace be upon him)
The Truth of La ila ha il Allah (the Kalma of testimony or
shahadath, the basic of Islam, where every Muslim declares that
there is no one worship- worthy other than Allah)

Har gul mein har rooh mein, har shey mein noor-ullah
Har dil mein har pal mein reh zikr-e-illallah

In every flower, in every spirit, there is light of Allah
In every heart, in every moment, there's Zikr of Allah

zikr hai behtar nafrat se zikr hai behtar ghaflat se
zikr hai behtar hujat se zikr hai behtar gheebat se

Zikr is better than hatred; Zikr is better than not caring about
life hereafter
Zikr of Allah is much better compared to saying bad things about
fellow human beings

Ya Qayum ya Qayum Ya Qayum
Ya Awal Ya Akhir, Ya Awal Ya Akhir
Ya Halleem ya Kareem Ya Azeem ya Raheem
Ya Rahman ya Subhan ya Adnan ya Mannan
Ya Zol Jallal wal iIkram Ya Zol jallal wal Ikaram

Now he recites the beautiful names of Allah.
Ya Qayum (Al-Qayum mean THE SELF-SUBSISTING i.e. HE WHO HOLDS THE
ENTIRE UNIVERSE)
Ya Awal (Al-Awal means THE FIRST i.e. HE WHO WAS THERE WHEN NOTHING
ELSE WAS THERE)
Ya Akhir (Al-Aakhir means THE LAST i.e. HE WHO WILL BE THERE WHEN
NOTHING ELSE WILL BE THERE)
Ya Haleem (Al-Haleem means THE FOREBEARING ONE i.e. HE WHO IS
CLEMENT)
Ya Kareem (Al-Kareem means THE GENEROUS ONE)
Ya Azeem (Al-Azeem means THE GREAT ONE)
Ya Raheem (Al-Raheem means THE MERCIFUL, He who gives blessings and
prosperity)
Ya Rahman (Al-Rahman means THE BENEFICENT)
Ya Subhan
Ya Adnan
Ya Manan
(The above 3 are not names of Allah but im not in a position to
write anything about it.)
Ya Zol jallal wal Ikaram (means THE LORD OF MAJESTY AND BOUNTY)

Well it still might not be 100 percent exact meanings but still they
are the closest. It's such a beautiful peace of devotion, which
should catch attention of any human being, regardless of his caste,
religion or language.
Take care and happy listening,
Jawad.

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.

Do you Yahoo!?

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.