And here is my take on this ...

It is about "Sound" . I think himself and his teammate i.e. H.Sridhar
have mastered the art of recording.  When I play his cd's to some of
my friends who own and record professionally here in the US, this is
what they say... "Dude ! that is very clean .. fantastic recording".

I think recording in itself is an art that needs a lot of time
invested and really good understanding on how it works.  Most of the
MD's in India probably don't invest time/money in that.  I guess one
would have to have love towards it to have so much dedication.  And
keep in mind, a majority of his songs involve recording ancient Indian
instruments (mridangam, thavil etc) and you cannot find a manual to
know about "placing microphones" to these instruments which itself is
another deep subject.  Using these instruments is a challenge and
bringing excellent recordings out of them is something not many people
achieve, no matter how expensive their equipment is.

Even though writing music is spiritual, you have to be a master in the
subject of recording to achieve the works that we have been
priviledged to ..

cheers
Prashant

http://us.click.yahoo.com/c9hWNA/3MnJAA/n1hLAA/iyUplB/TM