Kochi's `Kool' Krooner

From a vocalist in 13 AD, George `Kool' Peter is set to take the world of music by storm

Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can't help

Falling in love with you: Elvis Priesley

Hearing him croon takes us back in time. We are at once transported to the good old days, nostalgic moments of musical heights. It is like one was listening to Elvis again. Then with the crowd around him jiving to the beats, he belts out `Maro maro... ,' the track he sung for the block buster movie, `Boys'.

George `Kool' Peter, as he is known in music circles, in his early 30s, is all set to take the world of music by storm. However, this man with a gifted voice exudes warmth and is extremely down to earth. This Kochi-based singer, whose voice has lighted many a television jingle and films songs has worked with the likes of A R Rahman, Mani Ratnam, in more than a dozen movies.

The singer unwinds in this engaging conversation.

* What is your link with the rock band 13AD?

I started off with 13 AD as a vocalist. The band was founded somewhere in the late 70s by Eloy Issac, a fabulous bass guitarist and accompanied by musicians like Jackson Aruja on the keyboard, seasoned drummer Pinson Correa, bassist Paul K. J. and Glen La Rive, a fine vocalist. I joined them along with Rose and Zarina.

* What are your recollections of those days?

Everyday we gathered at Hotel Sealord in the evenings where we entertained the guests. Hotel Sealord was a favourite place for the hep crowd. There were many who just cane in to listen to us. This was long before MTV and other musical channels and before singers like Alisha broke on the scene. We did every thing from rock to reggae, soul to pop and instantly struck a chord with the audience.

* You have written lyrics too, isn't it?

Yes. That musical composition is called One Vision. It is, in fact, based on the Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam's work Ignited Minds. It is mainly about the children of India, their dreams and aspirations. The music is by Rahman. I have also worked with Rahman for his Unity of Lights concert. I was in charge of the vocal arrangements and voice harmonising for the event.

* How is it working for A. R. Rahman?

I assisted Rahman in the re-recording of movies like Meenaxi that was mad by M.F Hussain and his son Owais Hussain; Tehzeeb directed by Khalid Mohammed and Yuva directed by Mani Ratnam. Rahman is a genius. He knows how to get the best out of you and one good thing about him is that he lets you experiment a lot. He assigns songs that suit your style, range and vocal capabilities.

What about your future projects?

Right now I'm concentrating on my first solo album, which will be launched this year. By now I have worked for numerous international projects like the one for Maldives tourism for CNN, the Airtel advertisement for Seychelles, other television ads for Nerolac, Kannan Devan, BPL Mobile etc. I'm now learning Hindustani music from Pandit Ramoorthi Rao, a disciple of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi. I'm also doing a course on western classical from the Royal College of London.

--
Regards,
Ranjith K

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.