Excellent review. Keep'em coming!

VijayNarain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Music review : Mangal Pandey-The rising

Finally here it is ! And A.R.Rahman is back after quite some time. On
the first hearing I was baffled that this was an album from A.R. None
of the songs seemed impressive. But that is A.R.Rahman for you ! The
music grows on you , and a couple of hearings later I change my
opinion. I must however , add here that Ketan Mehta needs to develop a
better musical taste considering the choice of songs made for this
movie. Here's a song by song review :

Main vari vari

This is a song in the mujra genre , sung by Kavitha Krishnamurthy and
Reena Bharadwaj. Starting with some excellent Tabla work accompanied
by soft strains of the Sarangi , the song has a simple beat structure
. Its Kavitha's song all the way , and Reena's voice is heard only in
the chorus. There is a traditional flavour to this song and the subtle
use of bass adds the Rahman stamp to it.

Holi re

Another to the list of "holi" songs and this time by A.R. This song
features Udit Narayan , Madhusree , Chinmayee and Aamir Khan? Yes ,
but we don't get to hear Aamir sing, only some "ghumad ghumad" and
"matak matak" !
The sing varies in beat between the dandiya and the standard 8 beat.It
is a melodious number that grows on you as you listen to it.

Rasiya

Husky vocals and some excellent string work make this song appealing
the moment you start listening to it. The song has an oriental feel to
it , and leaves a lasting impact on the listener. Definitely one of
the best songs in the album.

Takey takey

Sukhwinder Singh and Kailash Kher create a riot in this "baazar"
number(listen to it and you'll know). Listening to this song , one is
reminded of "pagdi sambhal jatta" from The legend if Bhagat Singh".
This is comparatively faster in tempo than most of the songs. Again
the instruments used are very Indian and the blend is amazing. The
children add to the fun in the chorus.

Al madad maula

Now, coming to the piece de resistance. As usual A.R.Rahman has
reserved the best for himself. Set in a classical raaga(misra
sivaranjani) this song has a 7 beat structure. It also has Kailash
Kher, Murtaza Ghulam Mustafa, Kadar Ghulam Mustafa (the last two
famous for "noor un ala" from Meenaxi). This is a muslim prayer song
and pious that he is known to be, Rahman does full justice to the song
, scaling the high pitches with ease. This is the song that gives
completeness to the whole album.

The themes

There are totally three versions of the song Mangal Mangal , Kailash
Kher featuring as lead singer  in all( wonder why this sudden liking!
) one of which also features Sukhwinder Singh. The basic tune is
catchy and different, and the lyrics change in each version. The one
with Sukhwinder gets my vote.

Overall , this quite a good album , but certainly not one of Rahman's
best. I guess the director is also to blame here. A slow paced typical
A.R melody would have been welcome. Instead , all the songs in this
album are more or less equal in tempo , and the usage of percussive
instruments also seems similar in the songs. But , this album still
fares better than any recent Bollywood flick.
On a scale of 10 I give a 6.

Verdict: Definitely worth a buy.

Reviewed by VIJAYNARAIN

http://mail.yahoo.com

This August, Discover the Birth of Your Independence
and The Magic of A.R.Rahman's Music in
Mangal Pandey - The Rising
http://www.risingthefilm.com
http://www.mangalpandeythefilm.com
Music released: Jul 14, 2005 Movie releases: Aug 12, 2005

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS