On 8/15/05 7:26 PM India Time, _up84mouli_ wrote:

> Hi Rawat, Hope you are fine.

Hi Chadramauli,

>>It is director choice/ skill that is being criticised in the
>>above. MD gives a song asked by the director. How the
>>director then uses the song, and where, that has nothing to
>>do with MD.
>>
>>ARR could not have helped it in any way if holi song
>>"retarted the film unnecessarily".
>

> YOU HIT THE BULL'S EYE
>

>>Holi song is more a failure of Javed Akhtar than of anyone
>>else. Every word and figures of speech used in this song are
>>ages old.
>

> LYRICS WERE  MEANT TO BE "AGES OLD". AROUND 150 YEARS OLD, TO BE
> APPROXIMATE AT THE LEAST.
>
> I haven't seen the film, but I think you meant that the Song lyrics
> should have been in sync with the language that the characters speak.
> If that had not been the case with this song, then you may be 150%
> right..!
>
> Or, as in your "historic" string of arguements around a  month back,
> the lyrics were too much "periody" compared to the "non-period" music
> and so, they didnt mangal...oh sorry- mingle well giving the critics
> something to "mangle" with...

I feel that Javed had given his best lyrics till date in
Mangal Pandey.

But I was disappointed with the figures of speeches, etc. he
selected for holi, because those have been heard a million
times, and have lost any feeling as such. That is why I said
that Javed could not get this song right. I was not saying
about period-ness of the holi lyrics.

>>There could be psychological reasons also. Normally people
>>expect to see a serious, all-business type of personality
>>for a larger than life hero like Mangal Pandey. Hence they
>>could not digest him enjoying small pleasures like playing
>>with colours in the comapny of gorgeous girls, all painted
>>whimsically.
>

> YES! I DID EXPECT SUCH A THING BEFORE THE D-DAY (12TH). BUT NOW AFTER
> READING THE REVIEWS, I AM A BIT CONCERNED.
>
> I HOPE THE ENGLISH VERSION IS PROPERLY SCISSORED. Whatever is the
> case,  I will make it someday to the theatres to witness the fictional
> history.
>
> Thanks for reading.
> Chandra.

Regards.
--
Rawat

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>

This August, Discover the Birth of Your Independence
and The Magic of A.R.Rahman's Music in
Mangal Pandey - The Rising
http://www.risingthefilm.com
http://www.mangalpandeythefilm.com
Music released: Jul 14, 2005 Movie releases: Aug 12, 2005

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.