Hi,
By Popcorn songs , it does not mean the likes of 'nethu rathiri' of IRR or for that matter 'rukumaniye' or 'chikku bukku' of ARR fit into that category. Even the so called 'dabba-songs' can be melodious and can last for eternity has been proved beyond doubt by the countless such compositions of IR & ARR or even before them MSV.
So,let us not try to look down on such songs!!!
In any case IR's 'popcorn'reference was perhaps and will never be targeted on such songs and as pointed out by some one let us not make this forum to spit venom on some other legend and degrade our sanctity.
Regards,

maddy maddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Karthik,
I agree to all of your points but at one point when
you say that IRs sons are churning out Popcorns is not
right.IR himself was churning out Popcorns in so many
movies.I ve heard all of IRs songs  - almost all of
them.I can bet that during the period of 1992-1998 he
was churning out popcorns that were not so tasty.
I personally felt this because i was once an ardent
fan of IR.

IR shouldnt have made such comments because he himself
has composed such songs like 'Nethu rathiri yamma' and
all those songs in Sakala kala vallavan and Murattu
Kalai.

--- "Karthik, Sankara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

---------------------------------
Chandra,

Lets leave IR's comment there where it is said and
move on. This is not the
first time he says this popcorn anology. I guess, it
was during the media
interview in Bangalore during the release of one of
his Kannada films music
he made this peculiar popcorn anology. He is
continuing that from there on.
He as one of  the supreme composers of all time is
entitled to have in own
opinion and I (we) respect that. It is quite obvious
that the pop corn
packet that he is referring to contain more from ARR's
factory, according to
his assumed inner belief, but what he should also not
forget that his two
sons and one daughter have also supplied only pop
corns and nothing else all
these days to that packet. Hope he is also referring
to them.

But , we all know that ARR has not only supplied pop
corn (as opined by IR)
but also has sowed a big big paddy field which the
future generation is
going to harvest for long. U can already see many of
his contemporaries
have entered that paddy field, in the cover of dark
and have harvested some
bits and pieces.

Lets leave it at that. I enjoyed the show and hope IR
makes more such
shows....

Did you all see one thing...Even ARR here has set a
trend in these kind of
huge shows with high preproduction cost on Lights and
decorations, which
even some one as high as IR is following.? This is
called trend setting -
setting HIS OWN PATH. That's ARR for us.

Regards,
Karthik