Yes, I am a big fan of Bollywood of yester-year...because what is being
produced now has such little substance! Still, like you had correctly
pointed out, I am a novice when it comes to Salil Chaudhary's music; but I
have always thought that compared to Naushad, Shankar-Jaikishan, SDB, RDB
and so on, he had done very little music, maybe just for artsy movies like
Do Bheega Zamin and Devdas (Bimal Roy's), not to make light of these
masterpieces of filmmaking. Well, I listened to Anand today a lot and I see
what you are saying....the songs are really, really captivating. Maine Tere
Liye might be the 3rd in the list now for me after Kahin Door Job and Na
Jiya Lage Na.

I think RDB's music sound closer to Salilda's music in Anand, like RDB's Ane
Wala Pal from Golmaal. Coming to Anbe from Rythm, I see it has heavy
orchestration, counterpoint, and emotive changes like Salilda was known for,
so in that sense I can draw parallels, but I still don't have a good idea of
Salilda's sound to make any firm conclusions. Maybe after I explore some of
the other movies and songs that you have suggested, I can bring this topic
up again! :) I really appreciate all the information you have provided here.
All I can ask these modern composers is 'what did you do with the great
tradition od Indian melodies of these greats?' When people start focusing on
commercial success, the first thing to disappear is quality artistic work.
Thank God for ARR who is doing everything he can to bring back the wonderful
tradition of melody.

Take care,
Dasun

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/iyUplB/TM