On 11/24/05 12:52 PM India Time,
>    From: Gomtesh Upadhye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Guys and gals
>
>              Tired of waiting for water and rang de basanthi ? I will tell
> you what to do.Go grab yourself a copy of TajMahal.The music is by the
> living legend Naushad.Guys at the age of 86 he manages to churn out another
> masterpiece.Each and every song is awesome.Listen to the ghazal ' apni zulfe
> ' sung by Hariharan.Simply superb.Close your eyes and I'll promise you the
> music will take you back to the Moghul Era.This keeps me wondering how
> Rahman will depict the eternal love of Akbar-Jodha Bai.Whew....Just cant
> wiat!!!
>

> --
> Gomtesh V Upadhye

I would also say good words about Tajmahal.

Its music as well as its BGM merges so well with the era and
mood of the film.

In our long discussions after MangalPandey, some members had
commented that Naushad gave the music for then current
times, and not for period, but, here, in tajmahal, he still
gives the similar music that you guys had attributed as 1960
music and not a period music.

That is the inconsistency with ARR's music that it does not
gel with the era of the film. ARR always gives current
music. His music was not 1947-ish in Krishna or Earth, nor
1857-ish in mangal pandey, so on. It is like R D Berman's
1942 A Love Story music was current music of 1990s and was
not 1942-ish.

At that time, I had no recent period films to cite as
example, but now here is Tajmahal which does not have
2005-ish music at all.

Further, Naushad has even used the voices that ARR uses,
especially Hariharan, even then he could get a feel of that
period, that our man didn't (I wouldn't say, he couldn't).

Apart from the cassette/ CD, the BGM at the meenaa baazaar
scene in the film is a joy to listen to. So different, so
genuinely persian. So 1600-ish.

Thus, I repeat my that line that ARR never really gave a
period music in his period films.

Thanks Gomtesh for bringing it up.
--
Rawat