Oh well, since someone has started this comparison topic..I just want
to give in my humble opinion. I believe RDB and ARR are both great.
And here's why:

[1] ARR is innovate, and so was RDB. If you think RDB gave songs to
same singers -- yes -- but then, there were no options! Did you know
there was a time when if a film did not have Lata / Asha, distributors
would not buy it? However, you must remember that RDB was one of the
first to truly select the right singer for the song, rather than base
it on an arbitary choice. For instance - Lata for Bahon mein chale
aao, or Manna dey/Kishore for Padosan.

[2] RDB all western? Phooh! You don't know RDB music at all, my
friend! Listen to Woh shaam kuch ajeeb thi, Katra katra, Dil dhoondta
hai, Huzoor is kadar, Kuch na kaho, Is mod se aate hai, Phir wohi raat
hai, Aane wala paal, Tum bin jaon kahan, ...and the list goes on. And
tell me which one is western? In fact, RDB was one of the first to
successfully bring Indian music to a more modern setting, and perform
a successful fusion.

[3] Copy? Maybe you are right -- RDB did get his inspiration for quite
a few songs. But then, ARR has his share of 'minor-inspirations' as
well (I2FS does have a few listings for ARR as well). So, agreed that
RDB did get inspired more, but then that's everyone!

[4] National awards? I personally think awards are debatable, and not
truly accurate. Why would ARR miss an award for gems like Swades and Bose?

[5] Versatile?  RDB was also truly versatile. However, additionally he
had -- what I would call a higher 'hummable' factor in his tunes. Why
is RDB music remixed so much even in the recent times? How about the
ever-greeness of Churaliya hai tumne to Dum maro dum! Anyone would
more like sing Churaliya as a romantic song, compared to most other
ARR compositions. And in fact, both ARR and Shivamani have admitted to
RDB being the true rhythm genius!

Finally, I do agree that ARR has brought in a greater revolution with
his greater range of music knowledge. But then, Nitin Sawhney has a
even more greater range...so is he better than ARR? Nah -- everyone is
great to come up with tunes that sit in the hearts of sooo many millions!

-Ricky

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Pravinder Sheoran"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rG9bLB/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/iyUplB/TM