Hi Aravind,
that was really sweet of u to give the translation... gud work!!

Guru

On 19/12/05, Aravind a.m. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have attempted to translate this for the benefit of our non-tamil friends:

A.R.Rahman is a living legend. He never considers himself to be a genius. But, actually he is a super-genius.It takes time to actually meet him. So, we might get a different impression of him, before meeting him. But, once we go and meet him, we can understand him.

If we meet him and know him, we will start feeling that "we are nothing. Why should we lead a false life? Why cant we be true, like him." Even if our assistant says something to us, we wont feel like "who is he to tell me".

His popularity which started in Tamilnadu, has now spread throughout the world.
For his Lord of the Rings play, a very famous singer who is touted as  "Chinese Madonna" came down for recording, to ARR's studio in Subbaraya Nagar, Chennai. Music recording for Hollywood movies have been done here. Times have changed. People used to go to Hollywood to compose for tamil movies - but now, music for hollywood movies are composed here! This also shows the technological advancement... Hollywood is not something great...Rahman shows us that even we can reach that standard!

The new studio that he has set up in Chennai is definitely up to hollywood standards. The re-recording for my movie NEW was done at Autograph Studio, London. This new ARR studio is better than Autograph studio in terms of technology and quality. It is God's boon to me that I get to work with him.

For Ah Aah, he composed all songs in Kodaikkanal. We got the lyrics ready for Varugirai Thodugirai before Rahman started composing. He generally likes composing for pre-written lyrics. Even for "Sakkarai Inikkira Sakkarai" from NEW, the lyrics were written first by Vali and then Rahman composed the tune. Rahman changed few words in those lyrics to suit the tune. This shows his command over tamil language. The changes/additions he makes to lyrics are very sweet and poetic. These are all just a few examples of his brilliance. I sometimes wonder, why I shouldn't ask him to pen the lyrics for a song!

Tamil consists of 3 basic elements - literature, music and acting. Though Rahman is an expert at the first two, he is very bad the the last one.. Yes.. This man can't act. He always portrays his true self.

If we dont like a tune that he has composed, we need not hesitate or think too much - we can just speak to him openly about this. He'll say "okay. i'll try"... But, if he is very confident about the tune, he'll say "no.. we'll go with this.. this will work"... And, that one will definitely become a super-hit!
The best example for this is "thottal poo malarum" song. Something really interesting happened...

(contd...)

The remaining portion of this will be available in the next issue of Kumudam. I will translate that too :)

Regards,
Aravind