> As disturbing as hindi speaking people not listening to good tamil
stuff is
> tamil speaking people listening to sub-standard hindi and sub-
standard
> tamil stuff of hindi quality.

good point! i have not found any difference in the casual contempt
towards ARR between my non-tamilian and tamilian friends (and now
relatives). they all feel he is overhyped!
in fact till i became an active member of this group, i could never
imagine that there are other ppl in this world who have the mental
makeup to truly love and appreciate ARR they way he deserves, and i
thought i was part of a minority. now i dont feel so exclusive!:)

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> to good tamil songs...<<
>
> For the same reason that tamil speaking people dont :)
> Clearly, if they are really fascinated by the music, they would
never
> consider language as a barrier. Anyway, lyrics in any language
have never
> been able to do justice to music of ARR.
>
> As disturbing as hindi speaking people not listening to good tamil
stuff is
> tamil speaking people listening to sub-standard hindi and sub-
standard
> tamil stuff of hindi quality.
> 90% of my tamil as well as non-tamil music loving friends still
believe in
> one or more of the following:
> 1) ARR is a genius but only in copying. He copies and mixes from
diverse
> sources in such a way that nobody comes to know. (How do 'they'
know is a
> question that never got answered).
> 2) Its not ARR but his computer that composes the music for him.
(What
> stops other MDs from acquiring such a machine?).
> 3) ARR is strong in harmony and mixing and no match with certain
other MDs
> in melody. (I have never been able to understand from where these
people
> picked up words like melody and harmony).
>

> Coming more to the point, as a Hindi speaking north-indian, I
consider not
> understanding tamil a boon as that way I can concentrate 100% on
and only
> on the music without being distracted by the words or their
meanings.
> I gave up listening to hindi songs and most other forms of music
(except
> Tamil, Indian classical and certain folk) after May Madham 12
years back
> and dont regret the decision. Also, I have a cute little personal
> interpretation for most of ARRs music based only on music, which
always got
> muddied if I tried to understand the lyrics or even look at the
videos of
> the songs.
>
> One incident:
> When I was new to ARR, I once thought of understanding the
contents of
> lyrics after listening to a song containing traces of a raaga of
monsoon
> season. Song was Missa Missalade Missandam - Gangmaster (Telegu).
I gave
> the task to a telegu friend who, not being interested in the
homework,
> passed on the cassette to his mother. The project never got
completed and
> his mother was dismayed at the kind of company her son kept.
> I guess the song probably contained some rotten vulgar lyrics. I
dont know
> and dont want to know.
>
> Regards,
> Archit
> Mumbai
>

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:16:39 -0000
> From: "mmparthi2003" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Tamil songs
>
> I just experience this with my friends but i dont knwo whether its
> true with everybody out there so dont kill me for this argument...
>
> As a Tamilan I listen to both Tamil and Hindi and any language
> compositions by ARR or any other music director as long as the
songs
> appeal to me... I dont understand any other language excpet Tamil
and
> English but I still listen to other language songs especially
Hindi.

> But when I speak with my Hindi or North Indian friends they simply
> dont care about tamil songs or any other songs from the
> south....Whether its a genius like rehman or any other music
director
> they dont give much attention to tamil songs even if they are
extremly
> good...
>
> But later if those songs are dubbed into hindi they really enjoy it
> and claim it is an hindi song and they also mention it was a hindi
> song that was dubbed into tamil... I am not racist or anything its
> simply an observation rather than an acusation...
>
> i just want to know why hindi speaking people dont give much
attention
> to good tamil songs...
>
> Guys PLEASE DONT KILL ME FOR THIS....IAM NOT SAYING U GUYS ARE
RACIST
> OR ANYTHING ITS SIMPLY A THOUGHT!

> This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information
and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.
> If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been
misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail
immediately.
> You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of
reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents
or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly
prohibited.

> Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/VwqHaC/.VHMAA/n1hLAA/iyUplB/TM