Hi Fanz,

This (Issues regarding Quality of CDs) seems to be true to an
extent...at least for casual listeners.

I have a viewpoint for this. My understanding is that ARR used (let us
assume) a 40 : 60% ratio of Live : Simulated instrumentation. The
reason is that either the instruments were costly or unavailable in
India, which explains why others didn't even think of it and also
explains why Rahman sounded "generationally" different than others.

He gradually turned the ratio on its head and now is using more and
more live instrumentations and stuff.

So, the ambience may be different. For normal users (like me) it
sounds different I guess...

If you take albums like AP or KKKK, you will find any given song to
have more focus, sharper beats, less diffusion in instrumentation,
well defined solos and all that...

But listen to something like Boys, you will see some diffusion (I dont
know how it is on high-end stereos and 4+ speaker setups) and the
"punchy" sounds will not be as good as (say) Kadhalan or Jeans.

The best comparisons would be with Zubeidaa (I feel the "sound" this
has is like Unparalleled) and many others Dil Se, and many others in
that time period.

Disclaimer:
This is just my view. I dont know anything about Music or how the
Recording works. I have just written my observations...

Thanks for reading.
Chandra.