http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=9b6c82a7-f51b-4af5-bfba-cdf0485de6e5&k=39800

Composer A.R. Rahman says music for stage version of Rings has different edge

Canadian Press

Published: Thursday, March 09, 2006

MUMBAI, India (AP) - Leading Indian composer A.R. Rahman says the music for the lavish stage production of The Lord of the Rings opening in Toronto this month has a unique flavour due to his collaboration with Finnish folk group Varttina.
Rahman had earlier composed music for Bombay Dreams - a musical about India's movie industry by Andrew Lloyd Webber that was a hit in London's West End, but struggled on Broadway.
Working on the music for the stage version of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy was challenging, Rahman told Mumbai-based DNA newspaper in an interview published Thursday.
"I have been working on this for more than two years," said Rahman, adding this was the longest project he had been involved with.
While the Rings stage production is not a musical, it uses music extensively and Rahman has said he was approached to bring an orchestral tone to the folk music of Varttina.
The show, with a cast of nearly 60 actors, cost upward of $23 million US and opens at Toronto's Princess of Wales Theatre on March 23.
Rahman said one thing the score would not have was pop music.
"It was an interesting collaboration," Rahman said about working with Varttina. "To those who have heard my music before, I'd say don't expect Shakalaka Baby or Chaiyya Chaiyya."
The two songs were Bollywood favourites and featured in the musical Bombay Dreams.
The 40-year-old composer has won several Indian music awards and composed music for more than 120 Bollywood movies.
© The Canadian Press 2006
Regards,
Shah Navas

Christian music artists Country music artists New music artists
New country music artists Music artists Unsigned music artist

Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Mail

Music artists Christian music artists New music artists
New country music artists Country music artists Unsigned music artist

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS