Hi All,

I recently saw the movie Inside Man – primarily because it featured
chaiya chhaiya. As some people have pointed out it is used only as an
opening and closing number. The opening version has been shortened
considerably and has been "decorated" by Terence Blanchard. The
closing version has some contributions by Blanchard as well as Punjabi MC.

Apparently these contributions seem to have been made without
consulting ARR, and it shows. Terence Blanchard's additions are very
inappropriate and practically ruin it, when compared to the original.
His strings are almost out of harmony with the underlying composition
and he has added a discordant loud noise at selected places – which
apparently turns out to be a theme of the movie. Punjabi MC's
contributions are equally inappropriate if not more. Especially when
playing this in the western markets, where rap style has matured
fairly well, PMC's additions sound amateurish. It makes you appreciate
the way ARR blends in Blaze's rap into his originals. In addition, the
placement of the tracks is completely irrelevant to the storyline. I
was expecting it to be used to promote cultural diversity in NY, like
someone here had suggested, but that was not the case. It seems to
have been used simply because Spike Lee liked it, which in my opinion
is good enough, but not the greatest reason..(since it exposes ARR's
work to a larger crowd)

All this bring about another point to mind – that ARR's music can not
be well understood even by professional artistes around the world –
and that if you can not understand the substance, you can not alter
it. I'm sure all of you hardcore fans would agree that ARR's music is
clearly in another dimension, one that may not be obvious at first.

It seems to me that ARR works best as a Maverick. Anyone else's
contributions simply add dust in the heavenly air he brings us. The
only other composer which whom he has successfully blended is Nusrat
Fateh Ali Khan. Now, considering that LOTR music may also be
adulterated, it makes me eagerly wait for a review from a die-hard ARR
fan, someone who has experienced and appreciates his past work, and
ofcourse I want to hear the soundtrack itself.

Despite my disappointment I am very proud that our ARR is getting more
international attention. He has expressed that he will take on a
Hollywood movie if and when the right opportunity comes with a
director who understands his music. I now completely understand why he
is so reserved. One day he will become a household name around the
world, and be revered as one of the greatest music artistes the world
has produced.

- S

P.S. overall, ch ch and the movie itself are not bad, quite enjoyable.