hi guys,

         hope every1 is fine.anyways,its so happened that i could participate
in vijay tv.The Hindu had published with my solo photograph.just check it out
the mail
bye guys
This article has been sent to you by swathi ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
Source: The Hindu
(http://www.hinduonnet.com/mp/2006/04/06/stories/2006040601590400.htm)
Metro Plus

Bangalore

Chennai

Coimbatore

Delhi

Hyderabad

The voice of Coimbatore

The Airtel Super Singer contest attracted huge crowds at the auditions in the
city

IDENTIFYING TALENTS The winners PHOTOS: SIVA SARAVANAN

Three cities, 60 finalists but only one winner. The next big thing to rock
Tamil Nadu is here and is attracting people by the droves.

The hunt has begun to find the voice of Tamil Nadu; to find future SPBs and
Chitras to enthral the audience with their melodious and vibrant voices; to
take the Tamil music industry to greater heights.

Vijay TV is providing the platform where the talent can be spotted.

The first stop

Anyone with a passion for singing can compete to be the chosen through the
programme `Airtel Super Singer'. The show made its first stop at Coimbatore.
Video booths were put up in different parts of the city at Annapoorna People's
Park, Nilgiri's and Lakshmi Complex where interested candidates could walk in
and record their voices.

Also doing the rounds were voice vans that went to every nook and corner of the
city talent spotting. "Lack of a proper platform often leaves a lot of talent
undiscovered. And this event is an attempt on our part to bring out such
talents into the limelight," comments one of the organisers.

Wannabe singers

 Bathroom singers as well as trained singers contested on equal grounds and the
final filtration was done at the Ramakrishna Kalyana Mandapam. While the
youngsters proved to be in the majority, 65-year-old Kovai Balamithran thought
nothing of competing in the show along with them. This staunch Gandhian feels
completely at ease with the young crowd and comments that he feels `just like a
kid'. "Music has no age and hence age cannot prevent me from participating and
becoming the first Super Singer," says Balamithran who likes to compose songs
impromptu for every occasion.

He has already composed a song related to this event.

Balamithran is confident that he will be one among the 20 to be selected from
Coimbatore and states that if he does not win, then Coimbatore will not either.
The other interesting participants were identical twins, Ram and Lakshman, who
own a tailoring shop and have been singing for the past ten years. Though they
look alike and have similar voices, they know that only one of them can win.
"Even if I get rejected and my brother gets to be among the final 20, I wont be
too depressed. We motivate each other and I will keep on doing it," explains
Ram with a smile.

Pressanan Ragavendra, a physically handicapped youth feels that failure is the
stepping stone to success. This SPB sound-alike likes melodious songs and feels
that they suit his voice. `Impossible' is not a word in his dictionary and he
hopes to come back next time if he is not selected this time round.

Huge turnout

 The number of talented people who turned up for the event impressed the
judges, playback singers Malaysia Vasudevan and Mahathi.

They are looking for a voice with the correct blend of emotion and passion.
"Music is not just noise. It should be pleasant to the ear. It should have
rhythm and melody and the singer should also understand the mood of the song,"
says Vasudevan.

Performance matters

"We are looking for a voice that can adapt itself to different kinds of songs,
fast numbers and melodious ones," points out Mahathi.

And since playback singing is no longer a behind-the-screen event, another
quality they are looking for is how well the singer can perform, too.

They believe that with hard work, proper guidance and a passion for singing,
anyone could become a good singer. Though knowledge of classical music helps,
it's not a must.

The show will be telecast on Vijay TV on April 28 between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.

The Chennai and Madurai auditions will be held on April 17 and 18 and April 22
and 23 respectively.

Keerthi mohan

Copyright: 1995 - 2006The Hindu

Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly
prohibited without the consent of The Hindu