DESIREE COOPER: India's hot composer glad to do EMU benefit  April 13, 2006
                Email thisPrint this
   BY DESIREE COOPER
 FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

                 This weekend, you may get to see a superstar. He has sold more
albums than the Eagles' "Greatest Hits 1971-75" and Michael Jackson's
"Thriller" combined -- more than 100 million worldwide. He has scored more than
50 movies and two plays.
But chances are, you've never heard of 39-year-old A.R. Rahman.
Rahman is the Indian megastar who has captivated the subcontinent by combining
technology with traditional Sufi music. He'll lead a performance Saturday at
Eastern Michigan University, along with artists such as Vasundhara Das, an
actress in the movie "Monsoon Wedding," and Global Rhythms, a group of student
musicians from Miami University in Ohio.
"I can't believe that someone of his caliber is donating his time and talents
for the purpose of creating cultural understanding," said Sidney Fallon, wife
of EMU president John Fallon, who has helped organize the event. "This has
never been done here before."
The universal language
 Although Rahman is the driving force behind the exploding Indian film industry
known as Bollywood, his influence on American culture has been more gradual. I
first heard his music when I went to see Spike Lee's "Inside Man" several weeks
ago. The movie opens and closes with a haunting melody that immediately had me
asking, "Who is that?"
If you go to Toronto to see "Lord of the Rings," you'll hear Rahman's musical
score. Or maybe you heard him in 2004, when he collaborated with Andrew Lloyd
Webber on the Broadway musical "Bombay Dreams."
On Tuesday, Rahman was in London working on another movie. Despite his grueling
schedule, he took the time to explain why he's participating in the EMU benefit.
"I was working with the students and it was an incredible feeling," he said,
referring to Global Rhythms, a group of 150 musicians. "With music, you don't
see where it's derived from, you just enjoy it and it takes you to its roots.
When they suggested that we do a benefit concert, I agreed."
The music is the message
 The concert proceeds will help establish an endowment for the understanding of
Indian art and culture, said Sidney Fallon. India is the largest democracy and
the largest English-speaking country in the world.
"Because we have a language in common, we have a way to begin communications,"
she said. "Music is another avenue to explore our commonalities."
Rahman agreed. He was born a Hindu, but his family converted to Islam when his
sister recovered from a life-threatening illness after a Sufi mystic blessed
her.
"Sufism is a more mystical side of Islam that's all about love and
forgiveness," he said. "Music is the way that spirituality gets communicated."
To be sure, his message is getting out. If you can't see him this weekend,
don't worry -- this won't be the last you'll hear of him.
A.R. Rahman's concert, "Wake Up!" will be at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at EMU's
Convocation Center, 799 N. Hewitt, Ypsilanti. Call 734-487-2282 for tickets
from $90- $205 each. For other ticket options, go to www.miindia.com. Contact
DESIREE COOPER at 313-222-6625 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/NEWS05/604130396/1122