Sachin, sarees and the beautiful country

By Prajwal Hegde/TNN

Bangalore: For Aussie pace ace Brett Lee ‘jaldi’ is the operative word and ‘shukhria’ punctuates conversations. The genial quick, however, was hit over the ropes when he asked a tiny tot at his bowling clinic in Bangalore when the boy had started cricket? “When I was 18 months,” came the reply.  “I was still in my nappies at that age!” Lee said later. “Cricket is so much more than a sport here, it is a religion.” It is the spirit of India that the 29-yearold from New South Wales embraces. ToI caught up with Brett Lee on all things Indian.

Is there an Indian batsman you rather have on your team instead of in the opposition?
Sachin Tendulkar. I would have 11 Sachin Tendulkars on my team if I could.

People tend to associate fighting spirit with Aussies, is there a particular trait you have come to recognise Indian athletes by?
I have seen in cricket with Indian batsmen once they settle down and score centuries they go on to score big hundreds. Indians are very patient people.

Is there any particular piece of advice you’d like to give Greg Chappell on coaching Indians?
I don’t think I need to give him any advice. He is doing very well as it is. With someone like him around it is easy to learn and get better.

Favourite line...
Jaldi chalo

You look at India as...
Almost my second home.

Pick of Indian cuisine...
Butter chicken.

Favourite Indian clothing...
I love the costume you’ll wear at weddings, I think it is called the sherwani. It is grand. I also like sarees. It is a beautiful garment.

One Indian song you can strum on your guitar...
Muqabla

Can you describe India in one line...
It is a beautiful, beautiful country, with lovely people.

In sync with Indian tunes... Brett Lee

New country music artists Country music artists New music artists
Christian music artists Unsigned music artist

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

THIS EMAIL MESSAGE IS FOR THE SOLE USE OF THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT(S) AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED
INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED REVIEW, USE, DISCLOSURE OR
DISTRIBUTION IS PROHIBITED.BEFORE OPENING ANY ATTACHMENTS
PLEASE CHECK FOR VIRUSES AND DEFECTS.IF YOU ARE NOT THE
INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY REPLY
E-MAIL AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.