Priyanka is the new Carmen

The actress replaces Urmila in Shyam Benegal’s Hindi adaptation, Chamki Chameli

Subhash K Jha

Soon after Urmila Matondkar opted out of the Hindi adaptation of the legendary opera Carmen called Chamki Chameli, she was replaced by Priyanka Chopra; giving the actress the opportunity to work with director Shyam Benegal and producer Sanjay Gupta.

 Priyanka landed the role after it was accepted and turned down first by Kareena Kapoor and later by Urmila. With Urmila opting out, there are to be some more changes in the cast. Originally, Jimmy Shergill was to play the jealous lover of Carmen/Chamki. With Urmila opting out, Gupta is on the look-out for a replacement.

The film's music score is being done by A R Rahman. “I've never worked with either Shyam Benegal or A R Rahman before. The prospect of such a   creative team is certainly challenging. Priyanka is ideal for the title role," says Gupta.

Didn't Gupta and Priyanka get into a tight corner over Musafir when the actress opted out of his Musafir on the grounds that it was too bold and unconventional for her? “That was then,” says Gupta. “So much has changed since Musafir. I've changed. So has Priyanka. The past is done with. We're now looking at working together and we're going to make it rock.”  The film will also have a cameo by Sanjay Dutt. “I can't make a film without him,” says Gupta.
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=10&sectname=Entertainment&sess=159427261

I live in the world's largest constitutional anarchy. Its called India.

Country music artists New country music artists Christian music artists
New music artists Unsigned music artist

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS