The recent comments by Bappi stating that ARR is the only MD today
capable of carrying the torch of golden oldies of the past rings so
true and profound. I have such a profound respect and love for golden
oldie songs from the 50s and 60s and 70s.  Today, there's lots of good
music out there from other MDs other than Rahman and many MDs in
recent years have re-captured the essence of true melody that was
evident in evegreen songs of the past (songs of Devdas, Parineeta,
etc.).  However, no other MD has been able to capture that golden and
evergreen essence and re-create powerful melodies with rich sound as
well as Rahman (of course I'm biased.....but it's the truth too).

So many folks from my parents' generation complain about how so much
of today's film music lacks deep melody.  When I mention Rahman's
music, some of them simply haven't heard Rahman's evergreen songs due
to lack of film success and continue to think that he is just another
modern MD focused on beats and computers, etc.  Others, who have heard
Rahman's music more broadly and carefully, agree and admit that many
of his melodies today have that evergreen and golden value, sorely
missing and lacking from music overall today when a hit today is
forgotten tomorrow.

Here is a list of Hindi songs by ARR (I am sure there are many Tamil
songs as well, but I'm not as familiar) that I feel capture that old
world evergreen, golden oldie essence.  I am not including many
awesome songs that sound more modern in nature (but still have
tremendous melodic power, like Choti Si Asha)  Feel free to agree or
disagree or to add more songs you think fit this category.  Note how
most of these songs have a strong classical feel to them (strongly
raaga based) and many are from period films (which makes sense).

Songs of old world charm:

Bol Sajnni (Doli Saja Ke Rakhana)
Tu Hi Re (Bombay)
E Ajnabi (Dil Se)
Dheeme Dheeme (Zubeidaa)
So Gayein (Zubeidaa)
Hai Na (Zub)
Chodo More Baiyaan (Zub)
Pyar Sa Gaon (Zub)
Mehndi Hai Rachne Wali (Zub)
(yes, most of Zubeidaa falls in this category...mindblowing soundtrack)
Radha Kaise Na Chale (Lagaan)
O Paalanhare (Lagaan)
Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna (LOBS)
Jogiya Jogiya (LOBS)