Guru is a seasoned stroke from Maniratnam. More of a mature film that comes in
the latter stage
of a celebrated maker’s repartee. it does not exist to satisfy the demands of
narrative, say an
ABCDE(action background conflict development ending) or SBP(set up build up pay
off) format,
character origin development and conclusions, and so on. By saying this, I do
not mean that
Guru does or even try to redefine any given genre of biopic films, what it does
rather
exceptionally well is being honest to whatever it attempts. The technical front
is A-class. All
the rules in the book have been used to create life on screen.

There is hardly any thing that you like to point out if a film is consistently
good, more than
the meek mention of the same. This film particularly is a collage of classic
sequences,
dialogues, and steady, well-pitched, controlled gazes into the camera.
A film that will be talked about in appreciative hues and studied for its text
book and
dexterous approach.

A quintessential element of a good film is that it will not leave you, if it
will it will leave
you numb, lost, unsatisfied. When I saw The Departed I experienced the same
feeling. I knew it
is great but I could not figure out slots to fit my favorites. I know Guru will
linger on and
grow in my further viewings, I just am trying to find out why I call it great.

And you simply can’t take away the undercurrent of Mani while watching Mani’s
film. All of the
Nayakans and Iruvars will visit haunt revisit and rehaunt you over and over.
And it is this
passion that makes the current film fade away pale in comparison to the greats.
the paler today
the better tomorrow, might work, might not. one might jump and say I expected
more, one might
point fingers at Why no long speeches?
There is a lingering optimism stuck to the flow, and that smells good even
after the film is
over.

To make the name of a character unforgettable is the hall,ark of a any good
story or any
character or any performance. Be it Bhiku Mhatre, Raghu Jaitley, Lallan Singh,
Munnabhai, Samar
Pratap Singh, or now, Guru Kant Desai. This is where a film or a character
takes larger
proportions than what it is. It creates imaginated memories, breathes life into
written lines.
The streangth or perfection to which Abhishel Bachchan justifies Guru Kant
Desai might be
contentious but he adds his unique smiling eloquence that makes one believe
such a man once
lived, somewhere. The lack of Lallan Singh is made up for by Guru Kant Desai.
There is a
contained beauty to the pitching and the layering of the characters and their
voices costumes
blocking and their utilization in the seam.

To conclude, Guru delivers for the kind of expectations raised, but might not
impress a Mani
follower to the tee.

Tushar Shukla

http://passionforcinema.com/guru-film-review/