January 13, 2007

Impressions from Guru

Guru

1. Mani does a good job of first publicizing that the movie is on Dhirubhai
Ambani and later
making it a point to deny it every pre-release interview. He did it
successfully earlier in
Iruvar and ended up generating huge publicity for the film and this time too,
does it to
perfection. I don’t know how he manages to create that buzz time and time again
even though the
movies do not offer any suspense in terms of the plot. By the way, Guru is
entirely based on
Dhiru’s life even if it wasn’t obvious through the song ‘Gurubhai Gurubhai …“.
It is left to
the viewer to count the “similarities” between Guru and Dhiru which have been
sprinkled
throughout the movie. Guru leaving for his home country after a promotion, his
native, his
dad’s profession, his accomplice leaving him midway, his company’s symbol, his
first car, the
stroke he suffers and the area it affects, the location of his company’s
shareholder meetings,
his one-liners are some examples.

2. The screenplay of Guru is also very similar to Iruvar with several scenes of
short durations
and abrupt endings. While in Iruvar, it aided the narration, here it neither
portrays his
personal life clearly, nor gives adequate time to his professional successes.
It leaves the
viewers halfway in both these aspects of his life.
In fact, throughout the movie, a Mani’s fan is left to compare the similarities
of the plot
with Mani’s other movies. The tactic of depicting both the positive and
negative shades of a
controversial personality and then questioning his character and defending his
acts to an
extent and leaving the final judgement to the viewer was also used in “Nayagan”
(when Velu’s
daughter questions him to which he responds by giving several examples and
says, “Avan(gal)a
nirutha sollu, naa nirutharen“, and again when his grandson asks him, “Neenga
nallavara,
kettavara?“). The hero’s wife giving birth to twins and the use of rain in
important parts of
the movie reminds one of “Bombay“. Again, as they did in Bombay, though not to
that extent,
some songs clearly hampered the narrative and could have been dispensed with.
On the whole, this movie again proves that Mani Ratnam is a formula director.

3. Abhishek has probably given his best performance. His intensity is evident
in most of the
scenes; whenever he misses out, though, he leaves the viewer to recall Kamal’s
portrayal of
Velu Nayakan. Though Kamal’s acting in “Nayagan” lent itself to funny
imitations (especially
his cry on his son’s death and “neenga nallavara kettavara” part) and he was,
sometimes,
criticized for “over-acting”, exceedingly viewers will miss his acting in the
last couple of
decades (80s-90s).
Coming back to “Guru”, Hindi audience will simply love Abhishek whereas he will
have to climb
the difficult mountain of “comparison with Kamal” to be appreciated by the
Tamil audience.
Aishwarya, on the other hand, has no such problems. Since the viewers go in
with zilch
expectations from her, she will win hands down. However, she could have danced
a little better.
One also fails to comprehend her exposure in “Barso Re…” song. Madhavan looks a
lot younger
when compared to his recent movies, but his acting and dialogue delivery is
monotonous and
predictable. Mithun da is wonderful and Vidya is bubbly.

4. It is not mandatory for Hindi movies to show a kiss. That scene was very
pathetic and the
only worse kiss on screen I can recall was in “Neal-n-Nikki“. The actors seemed
very
uncomfortable and tentative.

5. The climax is too dragging and contrived. It starts out setting big
expectations and fizzes
out without leaving an impression. The climax could have been more realistic
and trimmed. The
time gained from leaving out some songs and trimming the climax could have been
used to
strengthen the plot.

6. A.R.Rehman’s music has been good in parts. Though a couple of songs, “Ai
Hairathe” and “Tere
Bina” are excellent, many other tunes and interludes bear resemblance to his
earlier works. The
initial portion of “Tere Bina…” has been used throughout the movie.

7. To sum up, the movie is excellent when compared to the Hindi movies being
dished out every
week. Personally, I love those movies that affect me to an extent that they
make me think and
talk about them in the subsequent days (and no, I don’t include Pudupettai that
left me with
thalavali the next day :) ). This movie, after a long time, had that effect.
Mani Ratnam has
lived up to his reputaion, but has not tried to exceed the expectations.

P.S: Two of my KV IIT fellow alumni have played a role in the film. One is of
course, Rajiv
Menon. The other guy, Ravi Prakash, is actually not very prominent in the film.
He sits to the
right of Roshan Seth in the climax scenes. He has also acted in Alaypayuthey
and Boys.

http://rkarthik.blogsome.com/2007/01/13/impressions-from-guru/