"In fact, we’re putting together a documentary on RDB where Rahman says RDB has
changed his
career."

------------------

 ‘Every culture places its own ethnicity in RDB and connects very simply’
Rang De Basanti now gets the prestigious BAFTA nomination.

By Subhash K. Jha

Check this out. No Indian film except Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Devdas has ever
wangled this
honour. Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Rang De Basanti (RDB), now a year old, gets
bigger by the
day. On Friday it got itself an ultra-prestigious BAFTA (British Academy Of
Film & Television
Arts) nomination in the ‘Film Not In The English Language’ category.

“Have you seen the other nominations?” the excited director can hardly contain
his pride. “RDB
shares the list with Mel Gibson’s Apocalypto and Pedro Almodovar’s Volver.
We’re in excellent
company. I spoke to A.R. Rahman in Toronto. He was thrilled. The entire team is
over the moon.
In fact, we’re putting together a documentary on RDB where Rahman says RDB has
changed his
career.”

No Indian film has been nominated in this category. “BAFTA held screenings of
the film in LA,
New York and London. I attended those screenings, and also the extremely
enlightening QA
sessions after the screenings. The theatres would be full. We kept talking
until 1:30 am. I was
amazed. In India we’d have gone home. Just goes to show, distances are being
bridged not just
in the corporate world but also in the entertainment business. The thing about
BAFTA is, it’s
the European counterpart of the Oscars. The Europeans take this award very
seriously.”

Rakeysh is sill receiving congratulatory calls. “People in London who informed
me said it was a
huge honour for Indian cinema. The foreign-film category is hugely competitive.
How do I
explain the endless run of RDB? I think the emotions there are very basic. In
the US and UK,
non-Asians parents have come to me to say that the aimlessness of the young out
there is the
same as here. The politics is different. The emotions are the same. Every
culture places its
own ethnicity in RDB and connects very simply.”

On February 11, Rakeysh is going to be in London for BAFTA with the entire RDB
team. However,
the bifurcation of the Best Film and Best Director awards in some of the Indian
popular awards,
with only one-half going to RDB, has exasperated Rakeysh Mehra. “They have 90
categories.
Somewhere you can see the awards being politicised. Okay, I don’t mind if I
don’t get Best
Director. But how can RDB not be awarded for editing, or lyrics? The lyrics
have given the film
a poetic perspective. Popular awards are being given out to balance the
picture. If a film is
good, embrace it, please. By sheer mathematics, if RDB gets maximum
nominations, it should
equal to Best Film. I’m not annoyed, only amused. Indian cinema is changing. So
should the
awards. But…RDB is representing India at the Oscars and BAFTA. So I’m not
complaining.”

On a brighter note, what will Rakeysh be wearing at BAFTA? “Anything from my
wardrobe, yaar!
Are you suggesting a designer? No way. I haven’t budgeted for that kind of
extravagance.”

On January 26, Rang De Basanti gets re-released in India. “It’s just 25 prints.
To watch it
being watched again would be fun.”

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070119/asp/etc/story_7264818.asp