thnx for sharing... arr always rocks...
--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, ashok amir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  A.R. Rahman spent less than 24 hours in the city. Right from the
time, he stepped on to the airport, a stream of celebrities,
politicians, bureaucrats, wannabe singers and music lovers lined up to
express their admiration for a composer who has put India on the world
map of contemporary music.
>                                                              Song of
the year

>  2006 was a happening year for Rahman with two of his songs
(`Roobaaru' and `Masti Ki Pathshala') both from `Rang De Basanti,' being
chosen as song of the year by different television channels. He has also
composed the music of Deepa Mehta's `Water,' which has won an Oscar
nomination. 2007 promises to be another eventful year for the musician.
His songs for `Guru' have proved to be a chartbuster and his `Tere
Bina,' a duet with Chinmayee, revives the magic of his earlier
compositions.
>  In the city to receive the Swarlaya-Kairali-Yesudas Award for the
best music director, Rahman's visit began with a trip to the Bheemapally
mosque where he offered prayers. Rahman, who stayed in Kovalam, recalled
that many years ago when he had visited Kovalam, he and his friends had
hired a catamaran to explore the coast around Kovalam. Despite his
hectic schedule, the music director, who was accompanied by his mother,
Kareena Begum, squeezed in time for an exclusive interview for The Metro
Plus.
>                                             Talking about his new
assignments, he says, "My anti-poverty theme `Pray for Me Brother' will
be released all over India on February 21. The function is likely to be
in Mumbai," he says. The music video by filmmaker Bharatbala is the
first to be shot on mobile cinemascope format. The project is in
association with Nokia and the video will be exclusively available on
Nokia music edition.
>  Explaining the reason for this venture he says: "Music is my passion,
profession, and hopefully my pension as well. It has given me a great
deal and this album is my effort to give something in return. After a
point of time, money is not everything. I cannot physically remove
poverty. All I have is my music."
>  Dwelling on his forthcoming projects, he adds that the musical `Lord
of the Rings,' which has music composed by him, will start playing in
London from May 9. "I am also working on Ashutosh Gowariker's `Jodha
Akbar' in Hindi and Shanker's `Sivaji' in Tamil."
>  Agreeing that he had once considered not working on period films as
some of the films he had worked on were not released, he explains that
he changed his mind as he did not want music direction to be like a
"horse gamble."
>                                             "One also has to work on
films that are not backed by big directors or stars," he feels.
>  The success of `Guru' he says "has been reassuring. We needed it."
But some of his chart toppers have been in Mani Ratnam films like
`Roja', `Bombay' and `Alai Paiyuthe.'
>                                                              New
phenomenon

>  "The music in `Roja' became a big hit because it was a new phenomenon
then. But it is harder the next time as you have live up to expectations
and yet not give listeners something they have heard before."
>  He adds that it feels good to have two of his songs nominated as song
of the year. "The director wanted me to make `Masti ki' the rebel's
song."
>                                             Something like Pink
Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall'?
>  "Yes. Michael Jackson's `They don't really care about us' is also a
song like that. But while `Masti Ke' falls into that category, it was
not influenced by those songs," he explains.
>                                             However, it a fact that
Rahman's music caught the imagination of youngsters who were at one time
plugged into Western rock and pop only.
>  "I was also into a lot of western music. I wondered why that kind of
music could not be ours. The vibrancy of the tunes was catching. The
negative side is that we seem to be in danger of losing the flavour of
traditional melodies. There was a lot of criticism for my `Munbe Vaa'
from `Sillunu Oru Kadhal'. Critics felt that it was old fashioned but it
went on to become a big hit," says Rahman.
>                                             He feels that the clones
he has spawned in the music industry can only do a world of good as
"there is a great deal of experimentation going and that is an
interesting phenomenon."