*Baron of the Baton*
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=228564 **  *Pallavi
Jassi*<http://www.expressindia.com/about/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Seat him at a piano and he can create symphonies that invoke seraphim. But
AR Rahman divests himself of all celebrity air. Wearing black and a Zen
attitude, he smiles and says, "It is Rahman with an 'a', not an 'e'. Or else
it will never reach me", as he patiently repeats his e-mail id to fans.

Rahman has flown down from Glasgow, Scotland, to unveil the latest edition
of the Limca Book of Records. The music composer — along with George
Abraham, who works with the visually impaired, boxer MC Marykom,
cardiologist Devi Prasad Shetty and tennis player Mahesh Bhupathi — figures
on its list of the "People of the Year".

 [image: Advertisement]
<http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adclick.php?bannerid=2646&zoneid=470&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fads.mediaturf.net%2Fevent.ng%2FType%3Dclick%26FlightID%3D24931%26AdID%3D86475%26TargetID%3D13450%26Targets%3D13450%26Values%3D414%2C1153%2C1264%2C3418%26Redirect%3Dhttp%3A%252F%252Fclassifieds.sulekha.com%252F%253Futm_source%253Dexpressindia%2526utm_medium%253Dbanner%2526utm_content%253Dsulekha_select_mar07_300x250>Right
now, however, Rahman is excited about the theatre production of The Lord of
the Rings , for which he has composed music with the Finnish folk band
Varttina. The musical on Tolkien's Middle Earth will be opening in London's
West End on May 9. "The Lord of the Rings is an experience that I will never
forget in my life and I consider it one of the most important steps in my
career," he says.

He is also looking forward to the release of Jagmohan Mundhra's Provoked.
"There is a single Alive that has Heeru, a blind girl, and Radha singing.
They have a beautiful voice. I met them just two weeks before the recording,
when I was visiting an NGO in Chennai," he says. He just took the girls for
a rehearsal and the song just worked. Rahman had composed and sang Pray for
me brother, the UN's anthem for its Millennium Development Goals campaign —
it was the first time he was singing in English. "Singing is a nightmare for
me," says Rahman, shaking his head in anguish. "I'm not comfortable singing
in any language. But I do practise a lot, especially before concerts." And
why was he wearing shades in the video? "I had to wear them as something had
happened to my eye. It makes me look cool as well."

Rahman says he works on albums to fund his NGO, the AR Rahman Foundation.
"Education is one issue that needs a lot of attention and I'm trying to make
a contribution." The seraphim are waking up.