From: kaissiom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 24 May, 2007 11:48:35 PM
Subject: [arr] DVD-Audio: anyone interested?

            Hello Rahmaniacs,

It was a couple of years back that I accidentally or unintentionally

came across a method of fetching *voiceless* BGMs.  And

co-incidentally, at around the same time our dear friend AJ (where are

you AJ?)  also discovered another way of doing the same thing.  It was

music to the ears and treat for the fans.  We've come a long way

since, many other wonderful people in the group have joined the BGM

frenzy since.  I admit, I have become selfish enough to keep the newer

BGMs to myself for quite some time now, but there are multiple reasons

for that, which could be the subject of a whole another topic.  But

this time around, it's another breakthrough, DVD-Quality music.

In my personal opinion, in this "i-pod" age, there are 3 types of

music listeners in general:

A) People that are size conscious (due to the limitations of the

hard-drive on their i-pod/computer)

B) People that are quality conscious (want the best quality regardless

of size)

C) People that are neither type-A nor type-B and basically have no

preference and could care less about the technical details.

Well, I happen to be a hardcore type-B person.  And if you happen to

be type-B, carry on reading, and if you are not type-B, but still

interested, you are also welcome.

I could care less about the size on my hard-drive, as long as I can

grab hold of the highest quality Rahman music out there.  It is a

pretty straight forward logic, as the size of the song goes down, the

quality goes down.  Although, the 5 MB, 128 kpbs song sounds great and

you can't tell the difference on your ipod, the difference becomes

quite noticeable on a hi-fi system or when playing the music on loud

volume.  I personally store Rahman's music at the highest quality on

my computer or my "ipod" (I actually don't like ipods, I have a

Creative Zen M, if you want quality, I would recommend Creative).  The

huge file sizes do reduce the number of songs I can have, but going

with a bigger HD takes care of that problem.

So, in my pursuit of "high quality" Rahman music, I had yet another

breakthrough… DVD-Quality music.  I have been quietly, one at a time,

ripping DVD music of all of my Rahman DVDs.  Let's not forget that we

already have the highest-quality audio available in the market for

these movies in form of original Audio CDs.  But the DVD audio I'm

ripping is unarguably superior.  I now have 3 x  each of Rahman's

songs.  1) in highest quality mp3 format, 2) in Audio CD format, 3) in

DVD music format.  Yes, call me a Rah-maniac, when I said I'm a

hardcore type-B person, I meant it.

Just based on simple logic of relation between file size and quality

here's how they stack up: Example, Chotti si Aasha from Roja, run

time: Approximately 5 minutes.

1) Highest quality mp3 format, 320 kbps:

File Size(approx. ): 11.3 MB

2) Audio CD, wav format:

File Size(approx. ): 48.3 MB

3) DVD-Quality audio, wma format:

File Size(approx. ): 81.2 MB

Well, does it really make a difference?  You have to listen to it to

believe it.  You can hear all the minute details and all instruments

in back quite clearly.  The highs are sharper and the basses are

lower.  I mean I could talk all about it, but unless you hear it, you

won't know.

Well, assuming that we are all Rahman fans on this group, and assuming

that all of the "fans" should at least have Roja in their collection,

I'm hesitantly willing to sharing ONE song from Roja in DVD quality.

Why you may ask?  Because I would hate to keep the gem to myself.  It

is an experience every fan should experience.  I can not describe it

in words...the joy of listening to Roja, Chor Chor, Bombay, Sapnay,

Duet, etc. in DVD Quality music.

What triggered my quest for this High-quality sound was that one post

on this group, where someone posted a Thiruda Thiruda song and claimed

it was DVD audio.  I got excited, downloaded it, listened to it and I

could swear it can not be DVD quality audio, because the sound on the

Audio CD was definitely better.  That was it! I decided to find out

what DVD quality audio would really sound like.  I'm actually very

happy with my discovery, although it means more hard-drive space.  But

I know sooner or later someone in this group will post more of these,

just like the BGMs.

The other beauty of this DVD-quality music is that it is in wma format

and can be burned on to a regular CD and played on any system that

plays burned CDs. Essentially, you burned CD will have the version of

the song that is better(quality) than the version on original CD.  I

recommend you burn this song and listen to it in a hi-fi system if

possible or using a decent pair of headphones (B&O, Sennheiser, Bose,

SHURE)  And if you can't listen to it on a hi-fi system now, you could

probably keep it for future use.

But before I post anything, I was not even sure if anyone would

actually be interested in this high-quality audio.  I mean I truly

don't know if people care about quality or size for that matter or is

it just me?  Why post something and waste bandwidth if people don't

really care?  So, I thought.. what better way to find out than to ask

the group itself?

So, if you are interested in this song at all, reply to this post or

reply to my email.

WARNING: (From my own experience) Negative side-effects of listening

to high-quality audio sound for prolonged period of time include but

are not limited to:  increased craving of high quality audio, dislike

or even deletion of your mp3 file library, and last but not the

least.. pure indulgence.  You have been warned!!

I love Rahman.

*NOTE: (for the audio-junkies)

The audio I'm referring to is DVD-quality audio, not to be confused

with DVD-Audio.  It is not in 5.1 Sorround Sound.  It is high-quality

Stereo Audio with R/L programming.  Having 5.1 SS programming would

mean you would have to burn it on a DVD.  But I rip it using 2.1

setting, so it is in Stereo .wma format and can be burned onto a blank

CD, because the CD-muic burning logic only considers *time* while

burning and not size.  More questions? Feel free to contact me, I love

to share the joy :)

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;
}
#ygrp-text p{
margin:0 0 1em 0;}
#ygrp-tpmsgs{
font-family:Arial;
clear:both;}
#ygrp-vitnav{
#ygrp-vitnav a{
padding:0 1px;}
#ygrp-actbar{
#ygrp-actbar .left{
float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
.bld{font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-grft{
#ygrp-ft{
padding:5px 0;
}
#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
padding-bottom:10px;}

#ygrp-vital{
#ygrp-vital #vithd{
#ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
}
#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
#ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a {
text-decoration:none;}

#ygrp-vital a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}

#ygrp-sponsor #hd{
color:#999;font-size:77%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #nc {
#ygrp-sponsor .ad{
padding:8px 0;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
text-decoration:none;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
margin:0;}
o {font-size:0;}
.MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}
#ygrp-text tt{
font-size:120%;}
blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
.replbq {margin:4;}
-->

      Download prohibited? No problem! To chat from any browser without
download, Click Here: http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php