So, Taj Anthem in all 9 USA concerts.. hip hip hurray!!!

On 5/29/07, Gopal Srinivasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Taj not a monument of marble, but of love
Monday, May 28, 2007 10:15:47 IST

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=fromthepress&subsection=inbombay&xfile=May2007_inbombay_standard13061
Rahman launches newly composed track, 'United for the Taj'

        --Select--
                                                        News
                                                        Sports
                                                        Diary
                                                        Editorials
                                                        In Mumbai
                                                        Opinions
                                                        Special Report
                                                        Lakme Fashion Week
                                                        The Uppercrust
Show
                                                        Special Section
                                                        Books
                                                        Film Review
                                                        Business
                                                        22nd Anniversary
                                                        Melody Saloon
                                                        Afternoon Buffet
                                                        Health Check
                                                        Business Extra
                                                        Woman's Extra
                                                        Bombay First
                                                        Show Buzz
                                                        Celebrity
Interviews
                                                        Art Attack
                                                        Guest Column
                                                        Stray Thoughts
                                                        A Mother
                                                        Round and About
                                                        Books
                                                        Eating Out
                                                        Politics
                                                        Internet Humour
                                                        Tarotscope
                                                        Asit Chandmal
                                                        Dr.Shirin Wadia
                                                        Mehraboon Irani

        for :

man of few words, A.R. Rahman has always preferred his music to do the
talking. And how! From being touted as the most exciting composer in
India, he is now on the verge of receiving international acclaim, with
no less than sir Andrew Lloyd Webber rooting for him.
Humming Bird caught up with Rahman in Mumbai.

What did you feel when you were asked to make a track to promote the Taj
for the new seven wonders?
was in London when the IMCL approached me, and I was very excited about
composing the anthem. It was at very short notice. But my crew and I
grabbed the idea and made special time to work on the anthem.

What is your opinion about the Taj and the seven wonders?
(Laughs)
Well, a few months back, a very close friend who is a Sri Lankan Tamil
arrived from the UK to get married in India along with another
foreigner. However, when I asked her where she is planning to get
married, she just said 'Taj Mahal'. That's what took me closer to the
Taj. One can imagine the way the Taj has been seen, as the monument of
love.

This is the first time that you have co-written the lyrics with Raqueeb
for the song. How did that happen?
Due to the short notice, I could not arrange for the lyricists. Later I
thought it would be better to
deal with the lyrics myself. It was a great experience and the lyrics
communicate my feelings about the Taj.

How would you be personally promoting the Taj to make it to the new seven
wonders?
am going to the US this week and I will be performing this song at all
the nine shows that are planned there. There is also a performance in
New Delhi soon, where I will make sure I perform this song.

When we talk about film music, we talk
chiefly about how the masses appreciate it. Now, do you think your
music will be more critically examined, simply because it will be heard
by a different strata of society?
I always live with a song,
sometimes for a week, sometimes for six months, to try and fix whatever
is wrong with it. Because, if I don't like something, people will not
like it either. I've gone by that rule and so far, it's been working.
God was kind. That's how I did this also. I'm not going to try
something I don't know about. I assume they will like it.

You are taking a sabbatical from Hindi and regional films, aren't you?
I've
done my homework on the films that are yet to be released. So there's
not going to be a vacuum. It's not like you are not going to hear A.R.
Rahman's music for one year. I've completed Lagaan, Zubeida, , alai
ptyuthey, Rhythm.

And you are not accepting any other offers right now?
Not yet. I'm just holding them, so that I get some space.

There's this allegation that you are a composer who has mastered the
gadgets -- how do you react to this?
(Laughs)
I think it's just an extra attribute or whatever. But it's not the only
thing. Because without tunes, without happening tunes, it will not
work. Only if you have a happening tune, everything else can support
it. Knowing the computer actually helps to perfect things. If somebody
has gone off-key but delivered a good line with the right feel, you
don't have to sacrifice the take. You can just cut it at the pitch and
use it.
This is how I have learnt to make things easier, to get the best out of an
artiste.

Some people have accused you of being repetitive...
don't think they will say that now, because I have been into too many
wild things. Hopefully, they won't say it again in future.

But, was there a phase when you felt you were being repetitive?
Well,
yes. Following the success of Kadalan (or Hum Se Muqabla in Hindi), a
kind of dance culture developed. Suddenly, there were proposals with
Prabhu Deva and me together. I was forced to do only dance music. But
then I got out of it and accepted films that demanded melody. Sometimes
you kind of get into it... without realising.

You have always come up with exceptional scores for Mani Ratnam. Do you
personally think that you've given your best for him?
The
main thing is the concept that the director has. He (Mani Ratnam) has
always given me things that I have not done before. He has been an
important person in my career. He never says 'I want a song like this
or that', he always has a fresh idea. That's the reason why different
scores come up for his films.

Finally, what would you suggest to people about making the Taj into the
new seven wonders?
The
Taj Mahal is the real monument of love. It's not just a monument of
marbles. What's gone into making it is remarkable. It's no longer the
Taj of Mumtaz or Shah Jahan. It's ours. To all those who have loved or
intend to love, I would request them to vote for the great symbol of
love. Our pride is at stake

Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?
<b>