Hi Diya,

I think you are speaking for the most of us here. Short and to the
point.  I find it hard to describe to people why I like Rahman.  For
instance, someone will say, Himesh is good or Ismail is good, they are
coming up with really good music, why don't you like them?  You are a
typical "fan" who doesn't want to hear criticism or you won't even
appreciate good music, just because it's not Rahman's.

I find it difficult to make my point across.  Actually, being a Rahman
fan has exposed me to a level of quality that makes me appreciate good
music, regardless of where it comes from.  But people don't understand
that it's not just his music.  And I can't find words to describe my
connection with Rahman.  It's not just his music, it's everything
about him, it's the persona of Rahman.  People, other than his fans,
will never understand it.

I guess it's the connection we all fans share here on this group, I
feel like this is my little community.  It's a unique community I
belong to, where everyone speaks the music of Rahman, where everyone
is tied with the strings of Rahman, pun intended :)

Regards,
Wasim.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, diya ganguly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Here's a short piece that I wrote recently about my experiences
with the legend's music. Was a bit hesitant to post it here as there
is nothing new in it...it all has probably been already said and
discussed sometime somewhere.
>   But still wish to share it with you all. Please have a look and
let me know what you think.

>   So here it goes...
>
>     There is hardly anything that has not been said about the
universal nature of music; of its magical powers to cut across all
barriers- linguistic, cultural and geographic.
>   Words such as these sounded flowery and cliched to me till I got
to experience it all myself.
>   Till I was held captivated by a series of songs sung in a language
unknown to me and the melody in its own way conveyed its meaning.
>   Till the music and the rhythm of the songs in "Indhira",
"Sangamam" and many more brought into my room a whiff of fragrance
from some village so far and yet so near.
>   And made the distant lands and people that I had never even seen,
in a unique way, my own.

>   When Rahman's music plays suddenly all the demarcations and
differences in the world seem to disappear, making it one single entity.
>   Where the strains of sound from far and wide gell together in
perfect harmony to create a new essence altogether.
>   Where one can feel the breeze in a sea shore in India sitting
miles away in a different country.

>   When he sings "vellai pookal" the space all around is filled with
peace and tranquility.
>   And when he says the words "thanimai thanimayo kodumai kodumayo"
one need not even know their meanings to feel the loneliness.

>   I have often wondered what is it that makes his music so special,
but of course some questions are best left unanswered.
>   But one thing that makes it different from most other music is
that you cannot just enjoy his music, have a good time and forget
about it.
>   It transforms you forever.
>   It makes you proud of your country and at the same time connects
you to all other places in the world.
>   It makes you want to be a good Indian and a good global citizen.
>   It binds you to the soil and makes you want to reach out to the world.
>   All at once.
>
>   I remember him saying in one of the interviews that he believes
"the soul of every human being is connected". Nothing reflects it
better than his own masterpieces.
>   Where the music often imparts a meaning to the song that goes far
deeper than its words.
>   A meaning that transcends language itself.
>

>   It is also interesting that if I am asked to choose my favourite
AR Rahman songs I will have to list down around 70 to 75 percent of
his compositions!
>   Well, each sounds better than the rest.
>   And they all keep sounding better with every passing day.
>   Each time you listen to them you discover something new about
them- like hidden treasures that never cease to unfold.
>   And each time they sound just as fresh as ever!
>

>   There is so much more to be said but I will rather keep it short
and let his music say the rest.
>   All I wish to say is I am proud to belong to the same country and
same time as this musical wonder.