I am glad that they have published this news and have credited me.
Am even happier that the people now know of the original composer,
ARR. I am also glad to know that they have done the necessary with
regards to the rights issue.

Thanks fans, together we made this true.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Group member, Noorul Wahid is credited in the article.

Catchy track in Kelly Poon's new album based on hit Indian
composer's tune

>               By Avis WongOctober 03, 2007
>
>  IT'S a catchy song that looks set to rule the airwaves. But Kelly
Poon's new track, Shakalaka Baby, from her latest album seems mired
in controversy.

>                Kelly says that by adapting the original Shakalaka
Baby, into Chinese, it would make more people appreciative of the
song. Picture: JONATHAN CHOO For one, some have questioned the
song's copyright and whether Kelly's label, Ursa Major, has the
rights to use the song.

>  A reader, Noorul Wahid, wrote to The New Paper: 'Kelly Poon has
simply reused the tune without actually seeking permission from the
copyright holders or the composer.'

>  Likewise, a Netizen who wanted to be known as TruthandReconciliat
ion also said in an online forum that he 'would like to see the
original composer's name to be credited for it'.

>  The song was originally composed by Indian film composer AR
Rahman in 1999 for the Tamil film, Mudhalvan.

>  In 2002, he improvised the track for British musical theatre
composer Andrew Lloyd Webber's production, Bombay Dreams.

>  Shakalaka Baby has been reworked into Mandarin by famous
Taiwanese composer-producer Yao Chien.

>  In an interview with The New Paper yesterday, Kelly explained
that if her label had not sought permission or cleared the copyright
issues, she wouldn't have been able to release the album.

> 'It wouldn't also be used as the main track and I may even be
sued,' said the 24-year-old singer with a laugh.

>  Yao Chien also gave his assurance that his company Ursa Major,
which signed the 2005 Project Superstar female champion last year,
has sought permission to use the song.

>  'Songwriters usually have agents to help them take care of the
rights to their work. So we liaised with Universal Music which takes
care of AR Rahman's works,' he claimed during a phone interview
yesterday.

>  Copyright issue aside, Kelly admitted that she has read some
reports from India saying Indians there preferred the original
version.

>  She added: 'But I think it's good to adapt the song anyway
because then Chinese people will get to know this Indian song.

>  'Music has no barriers and it can be shared with people of
different races.'

>  Kelly's second album, In The Center Of The World, was released
during a regional press conference here last Saturday.

>  It is aimed at launching her singing career beyond local shores
to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Malaysia.

>  To do that, Kelly has spent the past six months living in Taipei
on her own.

>  And solitude is what the Kuala Lumpur-born singer has been facing
there.

>  'Frankly, it does get lonely. My hand phone is switched on
>
>  24 hours a day and it's fantastic when I have people to chat with
via SMS,' she said.

>  So she was especially happy when blind singer Kelvin Tan was in
Taiwan recently to promote his album.

>  'He messaged me that he was in Taiwan and we met up for dinner.
But I haven't kept in touch with Hong Junyang or Sing Chew,' she
said of her fellow Project Superstar alumnus.

> INTENSIVE TRAINING
>
>  Kelly was in the Mandopop capital for intensive training in
singing, dancing and media management.

>  'Besides going to the office and attending classes, I would head
home and watch TV.

>  'Even that is part of homework too as I'm watching variety
programmes so as to prep myself on what to expect,' she added.

>  Indeed, she is already putting what she has learned to use.
>
>  A local Chinese newspaper had speculated that a guy spotted at
her press conference on Saturday was her boyfriend.

>  She has previously admitted to having had three relationships.
>
>  But Kelly remained blase when asked about the guy and suggested
we talk about her album instead.

>  She says she would draw the line at what to reveal to the media.
>
>  'It's okay to admit to having a boyfriend, but I don't think
there's a need to tell the world about my private matters.

>  'Besides myself, I have to consider my family members' feelings.
They will be concerned and upset over reports (over my private
affairs).'

> <!--
>
> #ygrp-mkp{
0px;padding:0px 14px;}
> #ygrp-mkp hr{
> border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
> #ygrp-mkp #hd{
> color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-
height:122%;margin:10px 0px;}
> #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> margin-bottom:10px;}
> #ygrp-mkp .ad{