Yes, ARR won it for 1992, and award was presented in 1993.

Leaving that trivia apart, what makes this award extra special is
the mighty competition for Roja that year - Rudaali (Bhupen
Hazarika), Sargam (Ravi Bombay), Thevar Magan (Ilayaraja).

And for a debutant 26 yr old to win that year speaks volumes for the
path breaking and revolutionizing music of Roja.

Thanks,
Vinod

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ARR won his first national award for best music (The Silver Lotus)
in 1993 and not 1994.

DEBUT.

> > Ismail Darbar is another debutant to win the National Awards for
his
> > first film "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" but that was only after
Rahman's
> > Roja (1994).
> >
> > Thanks and regards.
> > Chandra.
> >
> > --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Vithur  wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it the ' FIRST DEBUT DIRECTOR"

> > > --
> > > regards,
> > > Vithur
> > >
> > > A.R.RAHMAN - THE GOD OF MUSIC
> > >

> > Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?
> >
> > Explore, Experience, Enjoy A.R.Rahman - The Man, The Music, The
Magic.