* Superstar, now Sultan * Cinema Soundarya Rajnikant's "Sultan The Warrior"
promises some romance, some villainy, some comedy – and of course plenty of
action. SUDHISH KAMATH reports  PHOTO: S.R.Raghunathan

* Doing dad proud Soundarya * The pointed shoes of a warrior kicks up some
dust. The camera swoops down to the ruins where we spot the lone warrior as
his robe gently flutters in the wind. He brandishes his mighty shining
sword. The camera pans upwards to reveal his face. ItR 17;s Superstar,
looking about 20 years younger, he has an ear-ring and almost meditatively
blinks for half a second. A film by Soundarya Rajnikant, reads the title
card. A low angle shows him raise the sword as he kneels to flash it at the
camera. Cut to the title card which reads: Superstar Rajnikant in and as…We
see him posing right atop a minar, he dives in slow-motion and descends
majestically, like Neo in "The Matrix"… only that, here the setting is
medieval. And, BlaaZe begins his Sultan rap in English as swordsmen who
probably worked in Frank Miller's "300" try to attack Superstar from all
sides. Next comes the part where they all go flying in different directions,
crashing into bamboo. And a mid-shot shows Superstar swagger towards us in
slow-motion. Speaking different languages

"Sultan The Warrior" has begun his journey and he'll reach cinemas around
the world speaking in 12 different languages. "There's a heroine, there's a
comedian, there's a villain… As an *appa* fan myself, whatever you expect
from his films, I've made sure you will find it in this film too. It's an
amazing feeling directing my father," first-time director and second
daughter, Soundarya Rajnikant told mediapersons at the launch of the Sultan
Trailer 2. The first teaser trailer was out when "Sivaji" released last
year.

"As a father, he was very, very proud. As an actor, he was so understanding.
Initially, we talked about whatever doubts he had and after that, he was
very supportive."

 A. R. Rahman will compose five songs. "We will also have one English title
song for which we are trying to rope in an international artiste. Thota
Tharrani has done the art direction. This trailer and the movie will be
executed in Chennai by the 80-member Ocher team in Chennai," she said,
speaking about her collaboration with Adlabs.

Soundarya seemed unfazed by the questions. In the first half of the press
meet, she made sure she covered the vitals: thanked parents, dedicated the
film to her father, boosted the team's morale by introducing them, credited
Adlabs for funding the 10 million-dollar project. Her team had spent the
last six to eight months doing pre-production. And she assured journalists
and fans present at INOX for the launch of the trailer that Sultan would be
"technically one of the superior quality films we've seen in India." She
probably saw the questions coming. Will you act? "Never in front of the
camera, always behind." Will she direct commercial films? "Definitely, by
God's grace." Apparently, "Sultan" is not rooted in the Ramayana or the
Mahabharata. "It's not a story you would've heard before. It is *appa*'s
story, I did the screenplay. It's a fresh script I've animated. It's my
dedication to my father's contribution to the film industry, a daughter's
gift to her father."

"'Sultan' will have whatever you've seen my father do, until now, with new
elements added to it… Again, in animation, the sky is the limit. There are
no restrictions, if I want to take the camera and zoom it in 100 km, I can
do it in animation… Since there are no restrictions in possibilities, in
terms of *appa*'s mannerisms and gimmicks in 'Sultan', you can see it a 100
times. There are many 'punch dialogues' in the film, I have written a couple
already."

Offended by a question posed by a journalist earlier (If Soundarya was doing
it to promote her father or her father was doing it to promote her),
Chairman of Ocher, Latha Rajnikant sought to clarify: "This is a film that
will make India and Tamil Nadu proud. It gives skilled people an
opportunity, a platform. We are not creating a platform for ourselves, it is
for others." It was too early to reveal more about the story, she said. More
details in December. Watch this space.
*http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/01/15/stories/2008011550010100.htm*

--
Regards,