--------> = My response

Art is often described as abstract because solid, mathematical
evaluation criteria cannot be applied to matters of discernment and
taste, but a simple application of ratio-proportion to the soundtrack
of 1947: Earth shows you concretely — at least, it showed me — that
this is one of Rahman's most successful soundtracks

-----------------------> Agreed, it's one of his finest.

It's a perfect one — as are two others, the magnificent soundtracks
for Water and Mangal Pandey (okay, Dekho aayi Holi apart), and this
makes me wonder if Rahman has, in his studio, a secret vault of
everlasting goodies he opens only for filmmakers named Mehta, namely
Deepa and Ketan (and perhaps, on rare occasion, for a Benegal and his
Zubeidaa; rediscovering Saiyyan chhodo mori baiyyan and Dheemi dheemi
gaaoon were the other highs of my weekend).

------------------> I hardly consider MP as perfect..one of my least
favorites of ARR's period scores...but I agree about Water and
Zubeidaa.

A Gowarikar, on the other hand, appears way down on the period-film
list, for I found that the songs from Lagaan sounded better when
echoing nostalgically in the confines of my head than when leaking
out of the speakers in the present day. O re chhori was every bit as
folksy and lovely as I remembered it, but the rest of the album shone
only in parts. I perked up at the rousing four-line openings of Baar
baar haan and Ghanan ghanan, but the songs subsequently meandered
away from memorableness. And while Lata Mangeshkar's of-a-certain-age
voice conveys a palpable ache in the bell-jar rise-and-fall of the
line Chanda mein tum hi to bhare ho chaandni, O paalanhaare was
otherwise a bit of a chore to get through.

---------------------------> - O Paalanhare is a masterpiece..it's so
soothing, haunting, and spiritual....it's the opposite of a "chore".
I don't know how anyone can see this track as a "chore".  Even most
of my non Rahman music fan friends adore this track!

Rahman and Gowarikar were far more successful when they collaborated
on the contemporary soundscape of Swades. Yeh jo des hai tera is
still one for the ages, and I'd forgotten what a beauty Saawariya
saawariya was, with the closing portions of its stanzas taxiing down
the tarmac before achieving blissful liftoff at Bhooli hoon main
jaise apni dagariya, after which the tune gracefully descends to the
mellower altitudes of the mukhda.

------------------------->  Yes, agreed, Swades is one of my
favorites too, but it's too premature and unfair to compare at this
stage.

And now, with Jodhaa Akbar, the composer and the director go back in
time for another stab at another period, and after a few listens, the
album seems to hover between their earlier efforts — though,
thankfully, closer to Swades in terms of achievement. I feel it will
age better than Lagaan, but unlike Swades, what appears to be missing
here is that undefinable, perhaps even unknowable, aspect of the
creative process capable of nudging an album from solid goodness into
flat-out greatness. In other words, a perfect one this isn't. The
craftsmanship is extraordinary, and yet, as a whole, it's only
intermittently that this soundtrack worms its way into your soul.
Perhaps it's just that we're too greedy, too demanding when it comes
to this composer, or perhaps Gowarikar simply needs to eavesdrop on
his music director's sittings with one of the Mehtas.

-------------------------->  I respect your opinion and the way you
wrote it, but I think it's still too early to fully judge or compare
it to previous soundtracks that have aged like good wine.  JA needs
to age like good wine too before fully judging, esp. since we haven't
even seen how the songs are seen on screen.

The percussion heavy Azeem-o-shaan shahenshah extrapolates to an
entire number the love-in-the-time-of-war feel in the interludes of
Ilayaraja's Sundari kannaal oru seidhi, from Thalapathi. I was
instantly hooked by the rhythm patterns — all pounding drums and
clashing steel — and it's a superb touch that the staccato lines of
melody, the unvarying ups and downs intoned with almost military
precision, gradually segue into a pattern of notes that flows more
organically, more tunefully, as if hinting at the warrior-emperor's
impending transformation at the hand of love and in the arms of his
queen. But beyond that conception, there isn't much to hold on to in
the number, which wears its welcome out by the second stanza.

--------------------->  Kind of agree that this song is rhythm heavy
and kind of dry musically.  But, it has grown on me a lot!

 This sense of gradually diminishing returns isn't as pronounced in
Kehne ko Jashn-e-bahara hai, the first of the love songs (nicely sung
by Javed Ali, who sounds as if Sonu Nigam's throat had been roughed
up, just a bit, with sandpaper), but if the number feels less than
what it could have been, it's due to the strangely truncated second
interlude (especially in light of the first one, filigreed with
exquisite work on strings).

--------------------->  Good point, and something I was thinking
too.....I wish Rahman had done more in the second interlude...too
short and repetitive of the lait motif.

But the tune is gorgeous — the instrumental version, with a
delectable flute replacing the voice, bears this out — and Ali glides
through it admirably. If I had to pick a nit, I would wish for a
little more variation, perhaps emotion, in his singing. It's as if he
mapped out the high notes and the low notes and set about conquering
them with a mountaineer's diligence rather than a musician's grace —
but, again, the melodic lines are so stirring, I couldn't help
returning for a fifth, or a fifteenth, listen.

---------------------------> Tune is beautiful and yes, more
variation and richer second interlude is something I agree with.  I
thought he did fine with emotional expression.

The other love song is the magical In lamhon ke daaman mein, one of
Rahman's most structurally ambitious compositions and easily this
album's standout. Hearing Sonu Nigam (with the backing of a robust
chorus) seesaw expertly between crescendo and decrescendo, between
moody meditation and defiant declaration, it's as if a committed, if
weak-willed, lover grew a spine of steel through the course of the
song, then flopped lovesick on his mattress again, then roused
himself once more, then decided it wasn't worth the trouble and
slipped back into supine romantic longing. There's so much character
in this song, it's as if stage directions were written into its
crevices. I felt this especially when Madhushree begins the second
antara with humming that sounds almost absent-minded, as if she
walked into the recording studio lost in her own thoughts and snapped
out of her reverie just in time to ready herself for the unexpected
contours of the end of the stanza, beginning with ki prem aag mein
jalte hain. The anticipation to see this number play on screen is at
once thrilling and terrifying. What a canvas to mount a picturisation
on... but what if they aren't up to it?

------------------------> Good analysis.  Lots of drama and contrasts
in this number which I really appreciate.  Very dynamic composition
with lots of highs and lows......very theater oriented.

The mood of this pair of love songs finds interesting contrast in a
pair of equal-opportunity devotional numbers, making this soundtrack,
if nothing else, some sort of secular triumph.

---------------------------->  Excellent, excellent!  Yes, very
secular indeed!  Good point!

Khwaja mere khwaja, sung by Rahman, begins with a number of
overlapping dissonances that find somewhat pat resolution almost
instantly. There are interesting rhythm patterns and a great snatch
of interlude music that goes on to colour the subsequent stanzas, but
this isn't a patch on — to take a loose genre equivalent — Al maddath
maula from Mangal Pandey. But the instrumental version is a drop-dead
stunner, veering into bylanes uncharted by the original and coming
off like Pachelbel's Canon in D reconfigured for strings and an oboe.

----------------------->  You see the brilliance too of the Khwaja
Instrumental!  Kudos to you!  It's sheer genius!!!!!!!

There's a breathtaking purity of purpose in this piece that's
unmatched by anything else in the album — or perhaps only by Bela
Shende's exquisite cry from the heart that kicks off Manmohana. The
soulful mukhda is a thing of beauty, the orchestral tapestries are
lushly woven with alternating flute and strings, but the stanzas are
disappointingly one-note.

------------------------> Don't agree with the monotony comment.  THe
melodic lines may repeat, but most Bhajans are of this format.
Melodic contours are extremely rich and undulating.

 Javed Akhtar, however, compensates somewhat with an extremely
startling line as Shende drops to a murmur near the end, as if
exhausted by the fervour of her full-throated devotion. "Bansi ban
jaoongi, in honton ki ho jaoongi," she whispers, and in wishing that
she were a flute in service of those Lips, she reminds us that bhakti
and shringar, the spiritual and the sensual, are oftentimes one and
the same. And that's true of great music too, which operates as much
on the pleasure centres of the brain as the strings of the heart —
and there are times the soundtrack for Jodhaa Akbar comes
tantalisingly close, but it's no hookah.

-------------------------> Give it time.  Greatness can't always be
realized so early.  Overall, exceptionally well write up.  One of the
best reviews I have read of this soundtrack!  BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!