One more review from merinews: nice one, posted today!

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=130274

Jodhaa Akbar: A beautiful historical drama
 Asheesh Kumar Shukla, 18 February 2008, Monday
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=12&winname=addthis&pub=greenpeace&s=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merinews.com%2FcatFull.jsp%3FarticleID%3D130274&title=Jodhaa%20Akbar%3A%20A%20beautiful%20historical%20drama>
Views:: 210    Comments: 1
<http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=130276>
<http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=130281>
  Whatever the history is, the present lies in form of one of the most
beautiful historical movies in recent years. Ashutosh, amid controversies,
brought forward a masterpiece, which is purely Indian.

  THE LONG awaited 40 crore venture of Ashutosh Gowariker Productions Pvt
Ltd (AGPPL) and UTV Motion Pictures Plc is finally out to colour the viewers
amid controversies. Although the beginning makes it very clear that Akbar's
Hindu wife was called by many names like Harka Bai etc. But he successfully
brings out the Indian colours, which blend two cultures in form of a unique
love story.

Although the Karni Sabha in Rajasthan is against it and Kshatriya Mahasabha
has warned to intensify its agitation yet the viewers are flocking towards
it. "*Hum Hindustan ko galat haatho mein nahi jaane denge*" (we won't let
India fall into the wrong hands) was the dialogue uniting all the
consequences of the much awaited historical drama.

However, the editing is a bit loose, as Ashutosh (Ashu) was suffering
because of his back problem. The pace of the film would have been as spell
binding as Lagaan, if his health would have been fine.

*The Sufi flavour by music maestro AR Rehman had done justice to the story
but still needs to rule the hearts and souls with the music. An Emperor
dancing on the tune of "Khwaja Mere Khwaja" is the scene worth
watching. "Jashne
Bahara" is another slow yet heart touching song, which may rule only once
people watch the movie. *
* *
*The background scores, along with the scenes, make you feel the power of
Rehman, and his music. *The dialogues, which have stolen the show, were
written by KP Saxena and are the USP of the movie. He is a sheer wordsmith
whose efficient command on Urdu has left a long-lasting impact on his
viewers. The dialogues have been presented in a compact and unique style,
which had not been witnessed for long.

The movie is a masterpiece, if you understand the initial political twists.
Little Jellaluddin was made the emperor at an early age after death of
Humayun, where Bairam Khan ruled Hindustan under his name.

A grown up Jellaluddin hears his conscience for the first time when he wins
the battle of Panipat and spares the life of Rajputs against him. He
preferred a peaceful coexistence with Rajputs, which was disapproved by
Bairam Khan that made Jellaluddin retire Khan from his affairs.

On the other hand princess Jodhaa, an already engaged princess, learnt the
art of fighting from her brother Sujamal, who was to be crowned as the heir
of Barmal. But due to some misconceptions, he was not awarded with this
opportunity. Sujamal felt cheated and conspires with Sharefuddin,
Jellaluddin's brother-in-law for Barmal, as he extends his support against
Jellaluddin who wanted to dethrone him. Taking a note of the tensed
situation, king of Barmal, takes the refuge of the Mughal emperor. Annoyed
Rajputs threaten that they would never marry daughters of their states with
any of their citizens and vice versa. This results in breaking off Jodhaa's
engagement with the prince. Barmal's king pleads Akbar to marry Jodhaa as a
political step towards the welfare of the common masses of his land, which
he accepts after consideration.

But Jodhaa has her own set of rules, which she frankly puts before the
emperor of Hindustan. As Jellaluddin accepts the conditions of safeguarding
her religion and promises Jodhaa a temple, the marriage between two cultures
and religions take place.

Jellaluddin not only wins the faith of Jodhaa but also gives her the place
of Mallika-e-Hindustan. In the meanwhile, the internal politics in Agra fort
intensify the ego clash between Jodhaa and his most respected motherly maid
Maha Manga. The display of Rajasthani culture in form of Chappan Bhog and
tasty dishes along with politics are some of the best moments of the movie.
But Jodhaa becomes a victim of a plot laid by Jellaluddin's motherly maid.

As truth rules over, Jellaluddin comes to know of the consequences that had
taken place. He also leaves the cunning maid and accepts Jodhaa and goes to
Barmal to get her back.

The elephant fighting scene, the romantic fight between Jodhaa- Jellaluddin
and the romantic illumination of mirror were some of the best scenes in this
spell binding drama. Kiran Deohans has made a very impressing comeback after
*Kabhie Khushi Kabhi Gam*. The cinematography of the song "*Azeem-o-Shaan
Shahenshah*" deserves a special mention as Rahman and Kiran rock.

Ashu engaged as many as four choreographers to bring out the dance sequences
of the film, as he did not want to keep any stone unturned. "You can win
states but you need a heart to rule them" were the words that inspire
Jellaluddin to take the path of the social welfare.

He not only evades Mehsoor charged from the Hindu pilgrims, but also makes
himself accessible to the general citizens and risks his life. This makes
him the most loved Mughal Emperor of all times.

Religions can coexist only if they show tolerance and respect, so let Karni
Sena understand it that it's just a movie, which is 70 per cent imagination.