Chord, don't take my comments as some sort of Chord-bashing effort because it's
not! I think you have a right to feel the way you do. I hope members try and
make this a constructive thread rather than attacking the person who made the
thread.  Having said that, I am a bit puzzled though. In your very first mail ,
you say

"I want to separate myself from the fan part of myself and
think about the relationship between ARR and filmfare . . .

(you go onto say how Omkaara you felt was better than RDB and TZP was better
than GURU [eklavya better BGM than GURU]
Drawing to a conclusion that-->)

.. . .The question has to come up: Is filmfare biased towards Rahman?
Maybe. "

and then below, when Gopal pointed out that if awarding Best Music for Guru is
being biased then every other awarding body that did the same should in your
opinion be biased too?in reply to that you say (in contradiction to what you
were trying to say previously, or at least that's how I understood it),

"I'm not really disputing Guru's deserving of awards "

So now I am not sure what you were tying to say from the beginning?

Also, I'd like to say something about TZP (just my two cents). I think much of
the success with TZP is to do with the actual story. In fact MOST of the
success. Every other aspect of that movie is enhanced by the very emotion that
the film wishes to strike a chord with. The movie is an emotional journey and
if you haven't resonated with those emotions, then you are not human. I
strongly feel that it's this emotion that actually enhanced its soundtrack and
definitely not the other way about. Imagine listening to the TZP tracks outside
the context of the movie. I don't think it would have the same effect at all.
When I listened to Ma for the first time, I didn't know it was from TZP or that
it was by SEL. Not knowing Hindi didn't help the situation either. I gathered
it was about a mother but I didn't enjoy the song. In fact wasn't even
interested in finding out anything about the song at the time. At the cinema
however, I cried when I watched that song.
 It was a very emotional moment for the protagonist of the movie and I think
people responded to that because that's human nature. The emotions took over
...not the music. The music was good but not path breaking or even great. For
me, the movie deserved to get a nod because the package was so emotional, that
every other aspect  of the movie gained its beauty entirely because of these
emotions the movie was working with and not the other way about.

So TZP "from a purely musical and impactful standpoint"  is definitely inferior
to Guru. If you didn't understand the lyrics and had no clue about the story of
the film and just listened to the music on its own , outside all of these
frames (from what you call a purely musical standpoint), it makes NO impact at
all.  I can't say the same about Guru or RDB. I didn't understand a word of
Hindi but I was blown away by my fav tracks in the album, instantly. For me
this is the difference. The concept of music not having a language as it's a
language on its own; the only true example to that concept is Rahman's music.
Guru and RDB are no exception.