http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Cinema/10205320.html

                          Ash has accepted superstar Rajnikanth starrer Robot.
                            Ash in Rajni's  Robot'      IANS Published: April
13, 2008, 19:38

        The much sought after Aishwarya Rai, who has been turning down movies
for more than just lack of time, says she refused Karan Johar’s comedy Dostana
because the quirky situations mentioned in the script wouldn’t have worked.

  Karan wanted to cast her with Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham. He has now
roped in Priyanka Chopra for the female lead.

  When asked why she accepted superstar Rajnikanth starrer Robot, Aishwarya
said: “I want to work with Rajni sir, yaar. He is phenomenal. Everyone speaks
of this experience. I’ll actually go through the experience. It’s very
important for me to come away with something from my films since I give so
much.”

  The film is directed by Shankar, who gave Aishwarya her first break in Jeans.

  Excerpts from an interview:
  First things first. Did you turn down Karan Johar’s Dostana?

  Yes, I opted out of Dostana because the inter-personal relationships among
the three of us made me uncomfortable. Now that Abhishek and I are married, the
kind of quirky situations shown in Dostana, albeit in a comic vein, wouldn’t
have worked.

  But Dhoom 2 and Jodhaa Akbar worked although you were paired with Hrithik
Roshan and not Abhishek?

  But Dhoom was before marriage and there was no triangle in Jodhaa Akbar. Now
the audience can’t see me sharing my affections for Abhishek with another guy.
I can’t tell you why it wouldn’t have worked for Abhishek and I as a pair
without giving away the plot. Karan Johar wasn’t bothered with all these
personal considerations, but I felt otherwise. I thought the audience would
wonder, “She likes John and Abhishek equally? No way!”

  Now you’ll be romancing Rajnikanth in Shankar’s Robot?

  It’s a total Rajni-Shankar styled entertainer. There’s no logic as to why I
agreed to do it beyond the urge to work with Rajnikanth. Shankar and Rajni sir
have approached me for so many films, it’s embarrassing. Ever since we did
Jeans together Shankar has approached me for all his films except Boys.

  Rajni sir, being the senior that he is, has shown no egoistic traits in
approaching me for his last four-five films. And my refusal to do his films was
never misconstrued by him. I admire him for that. It speaks volumes for his
seniority and his calibre as a human being to never take offence to my “no”.

  Is that why you said yes to Robot?

  This time for Robot it was an immediate “yes” from me. I just wanted to work
with Rajni sir and Shankar. My Jeans with Shankar was a super success. I learnt
so much from Jeans and Shankar. Robot too will be a learning experience.

  Is it a sci-fi film?

  It is hard to define. But technically it will take cinema to another level. I
can only say I’ll come away enriched. It’s very important for me to come away
with something from my films since I give so much. I want to work with Rajni
sir, yaar. He’s phenomenal. Everyone speaks of this experience. I’ll actually
go through the experience.

  Well you have a seasoned phenomenon (Amitabh Bachchan) in your own house.

  Yes, but I share a different equation with the one in my house. They’re both
institutions. And I’m blessed to work with both. When I look back at all the
leading men, directors and technicians I’ve worked with I feel totally blessed.
It’s a good place to be in.

  Highest paid Bollywood actress

  With Aishwarya Rai carrying home a pay packet of Rs40 million (Dh4 million)
for her stint as Rajnikanth’s leading lady in Shankar’s Robot, she has now
become the highest-paid actress in Indian cinema.

  “Yes, it’s close to Rs40 million. And she’s very amused when she reads that
she is the highest-paid actress in Bollywood. With three hits in a row Guru,
Dhoom 2 and Jodhaa Akbar Ash’s equity as a Rai and a Bachchan have gone through
the roof,” said a source close to Aishwarya.

  “It is no surprise that Aishwarya is getting Rs40 million. It’s still chicken
feed compared with what Rajnikanth carries home. He takes home Rs150 million
plus 50 percent of his film's profits. But still he cannot make a film
commercially viable outside the Tamil belt on his own.

  “The dubbed Hindi version of Chandramukhi came and went. And Rajni's biggest
hit Shivaji - The Boss is in no hurry to be released in Hindi. With Ash in
Robot it looks like an attractive non-regional film,” added another source,
close to the project.

  Rajnikanth - The superstar

  Rajnikanth is one of the most influential and bankable movie stars in the
Indian film industry, a superstar in the Tamil and Telugu films.

  Before starting his career in the film industry, Rajnikanth worked as a bus
conductor for the Bangalore Transport Service in Bangalore. It was during this
time that he nurtured his acting interests by performing in various stage plays.
  Rajnikanth’s film Muthu was the first Tamil film to be dubbed into Japanese
as Muthu: The Dancing Maharajah and became very popular in Japan.
  His blockbuster film, Sivaji - The Boss is the first Tamil movie to make the
UK and South Africa Top 10.

  Rajnikanth will be also lending his voice to the lead character (based on
himself) in an animation film for Adlabs titled Sultan:The Warrior to be
directed by his daughter Soundarya Rajnikanth. The movie is scheduled to be
released this year.

  Did you know?
  Aishwarya Rai made her movie debut in Mani Ratnam’s Tamil film, Iruvar (1997).
  She had her first commercial success in the Tamil movie Jeans (1998)

  Rai’s Bollywood break came with, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999), directed by
Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Her performance in the film won her the Filmfare Best
Actress Award, and she successfully performed in Bhansali's next project,
Devdas (2002), for which she won her second Best Actress Award at the Filmfare.

  Since then, she has acted in over 40 movies in Hindi, Tamil, Bengali and
English, including the international productions Bride & Prejudice (2003),
Mistress of Spices (2006) and The Last Legion (2007) in English.

 Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it,  we have it.