THE PERFECT MIX
 Rajiv Vijayakar  Posted online: Friday , May 02, 2008 at 1021 hrs
  Print
<http://www.screenindia.com/story.php?id=303653&pg=-1>Email<http://www.screenindia.com/static/story-email/>To
Editor <http://www.screenindia.com/static.php?q=feed>Post
Comments<http://www.screenindia.com/news/THE-PERFECT-MIX/303653/#postcomm>Rate
this article* <javascript:void(0)> <javascript:void(0)>
<javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)><javascript:void(0)>
*
Avg. Rating:0
 *As the re-recordist, he's the final chapter in the making of a film. That
is, after all the elements of a film - the film's visuals, dialogues, songs,
background score and post-production - are ready, Hitendra Ghosh mixes and
blends them in perfect proportion. Now 1860 (!!) films old, he recently won
the MAMI-Kodak award for his contribution to cinema*

His landing into films wasn't really planned. The son of parents who were
Rabindranath Tagore's direct disciples, Hitendra Ghosh, like his mother, was
into learning music. But when his parents died early he did a course in
Mechanical Engineering - five years of complete absence from anything
creative. But the job that followed was so boring that Ghosh grabbed the
chance to enrol at athree year course in Sound Engineering in Pune's Film &
Television Institute of India.

"I managed my fees by giving tuitions to school-children," says Ghosh. "But
I stood first in my batch. I then approached Shyam Benegal for work because
I had loved his Ankur and all he asked was whether I would do his next film,
Nishant."

The lack of a struggle phase and a period of apprenticeship had a flipside
though. No one was around to guide Ghosh and solve his difficulties. But
this negative factor was turned into an advantage. "Because of that I relied
on my intuition and to this day I keep learning and experimenting, sometimes
without the filmmaker's knowledge."

How does he do that? With a twinkle, Ghosh says, "I keep making small
changes and then go and gauge the effect by watching my film with the
public!"

Why did Ghosh not get into song recording because of his musical bent? "That
would have become too mechanical," he grins. "I loved my phase as just a
sound recordist, but re-recording, as the final mixing is called, has a lot
of creative scope and greater involvement and satisfaction. Besides, I get
to shape the Dolby mix of the song as it is heard in the theatre, and that
is often very different from the mix on the audio CD."

He explains, "In movies, the visuals have to be followed. The lyrics must be
heard prominently from among the 16 tracks that constitute a recorded song."
He smiles, "I have had a problem convincing some of the composers. But then
there have been composers like Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji-Anandji,
Nadeem-Shravan, A.R. Rahman and Himesh Reshammiya who made sure that the
words were heightened and clearly heard."

Though he considers new technology as a boon - he welcomes the way the sound
design was incorporated into the script of Rang De Basanti and the cordless
microphones that are used for actors today - Ghosh rues that the 100 per
cent technical perfection has made creativity less. "Chand ko bhi daag hona
chahiye," smiles Ghosh, and adds how on catching up with his older films he
is amazed at the great impact of some of his older work that was done with
minimal facilities. "In fact there are times when I deliberately introduce a
technically-incorrect flaw to heighten the emotional impact, like taking
away a footstep in a scene or playing around with the background score. In
Jodhaa Akbar in the sequence where Hrithik Roshan is writing Aishwarya Rai's
name with a pen, I increased the hiss of the pen - though technically wrong,
it was creatively right."

And yet Ghosh says that his triumphs paradoxically lie in his work not being
noticed in a film."What we do technically should be noticed only by my
colleagues and those within the industry, but if the audience notices it, I
have failed!"

Tributing his guru, ace re-recordist Mangesh Desai, for the rare insights
passed on to him, Ghosh points out that with human beings sense is about 70
per cent eyes, 18 per cent ears and 6 per cent touch or feel. "I try to
maintain the same proportion in films, though there are cinema theatres
where the surround speakers are so loud that people get distracted from the
visuals. Another area wherein I differ from most workers in Indian cinema is
that I mix the dialogues and effects first. Then if the scene is holding, I
edit out the background music. But if a sequence is weak, then good
background music bolsters it."

Like with music directors, does he have difficulty in convincing filmmakers
too about these finer points? Says Ghosh, "Many filmmakers know exactly what
they want. Others say, 'Do it - then let me see it'.I learnt a valuable
lesson when Mr Pahlaj Nihalani once could not put a finger on why a scene
was not working and simply said, 'I am not touched by the scene!"

Hitendra Ghosh's score of 1860 films (and counting!) in multiple languages
is an unequalled world record. Though job satisfaction is high, he admits
that till recently his field of work was not recognised or awarded. But
beginning with the Zee Technical Awards he has won several awards too for
his work. And the MAMI-KODAK Award is special because he is the first
non-cinematographer to win it.

How long does he take to complete one film? "Oh, that's very variable!" he
smiles. "I took one and a half months for Jodhaa Akbar and just three days
for Mukesh Bhatt's Jannat," says the man whose cap is crowned with films
like Junoon, 36 Chowringhee Lane, Ardh Satya, Utsav, Naam, Chandni, Parinda,
Dil, Saudagar, Khal-Nayak, Asoka, Saaya, Gangster and Taxi No 9-2-1-1 in a
34-year career.

http://www.screenindia.com/news/THE-PERFECT-MIX/303653/
--
regards,
Vithur

Whatever God wants to give, no one can deny; Whatever God wants to deny, no
one can give. Be happy always