Unbelievable....amazing...astounding.....mindblowing....awesome.....AR
Rsomehow manages to keep blowing us away with his magical
compositions and I just can't believe what a feast this is for us
fans! Is there any musical hat that this man CANNOT wear?  How the
heck can one person compose a Jodha Akbar, Ada, and Jaane Tu and much
much more all in a single lifetime? Not going to give a song by song
review of Ada, but want to share my overwhelming thoughts and
feelings.

ADA
This is by far the most passionate, stylish, sleek, sonically
contemporary, and lushest arrangement wise album we have heard from
ARR in a while.  The album has such a beautiful flow from song to
song......truly a remarkable journey of sound and intricate sonic
sculptures ecapsulated by haunting melodies and the best of both
worlds of vintage and modern ARR.  There is a spontaneity in this
album that I have been missing from ARR recently and which harkens
back to his earlier days...quite nostalgic indeed.  In terms of
musical concepts, this is one of his most brilliant works.  There are
incredible interludes everywhere with unpredictable twists and turns
within each composition that surprises the listener and takes you
deeper and deeper into musical bliss. Lots of classical dynamics with
contrasting moods as dissonance is juxtaposed with resoultion and
open-ness from interlude to antara and back (eg., second interlude of
Dar Hai with duduk and dark, musical dissonance which resolves
brilliantly into an open and exhilirating second antara.......also
heard in female Ishq Ada).  Man, check out the range of sound on this
album not only in terms of acoustic instrumentation, but as a friend
rightly pointed out, innovative synth sounds and soundscapes!!!!
There are beautiful raaga based melodies combined with multicultural
and ethnic influences as Swaps rightly explained with Latin, Spanish,
Mediterranean, and Eastern European musical styles all thrown in.
The singing is fantastic and wide ranging and I am so impressed wiht
Parul Mishra's rendition of Ishq Ada....she sounds like a veteran
singer....so mature, precise, with great tone and feeling!  The
lyrics nicely complement the music at each turn!  Meherbaan is sung
so beautifully by Rahman and this style of ballad suits him so well
and I just love the electric guitar solo in the instrumental
version!

Surely a difficult album to review concisely.  It's a classy, classy
album that music lovers will enjoy but I am not too sure about its
commercial prospects since there are unusual and unconventional
musical styles, sounds, structures, etc that a common person may find
a bit too foreign sounding or out of his schematic realm to make
ssnse of.  Nevertheless, another highlight of Rahman's career is
bestowed before us and I cannot be more proud to be a Rahman fan than
I am today.  HAIL TO THE MAESTRO!!!!!