From: shahul hameed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [arr] Vairamuthu Neram - July 17, 2008
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 3:14 PM

Thanks for the post Vithur. Kannuku mai azhagu is one of my all time fav of
Rahman and to know that it was composed for the lyrics surely delights me.

On 7/17/08, Vithur <[EMAIL PROTECTED] com> wrote:

In Vairamuthu Neram today,

" Maniratnam asked Rahman to set the tune of the love song ( Pudhu vellai
Mazhai from ROJA ) to be like that of in Kashmir, and wanted the tune of the
song also to be chilling. Neither me nor A.R. Rahman could understand that. How
can the tune become chilling ?. Maniratnam wanted it to be like , a chilling
type, even when the song is heard. Nothing could be understood. After hearing
to many tunes, finally, he composed a tune in Kanada raga. That is " Pudhu
Vellai Mazhai song tune. When you hear the tune itself, it would be like that
of a chilling nature. The sweeetness of the tune itself is like that. The
uniqueness of the tune is the same. Maniratnam wanted me to write lyrics which
will chill out . Initially, I wrote the lyrics like ,

" Idhu Kashmirama, Ingu Kargalama. Yendhan Kovil Pura, indha kulir thangumaaa".
The song was considered to be excellent. Rahman liked it, and Maniratnam also
praised it. After everyone praised, Maniratnam told, that for this tune, the
lyrics cannot become more better. But, lets not have it like this. I asked, "
Why ?".

Maniratnam replied, " I am going to show Kashmir on the screen. Why are you
also reinstating on Kashmir by way of the lyrics. ?. Suppose, I lose the
opportunity to shoot the scenes in Kashmir, and take it in Ooty, then wont it
be a disgrace if the lyrics state that its Kashmir ? . Hence, Pls write it in
such a manner, that the lyrics are written in such a way, that no one knows,
where its is shot from.  I got mesmerised, when I wrote the lyrics for the
song, " Ilaya Nila poyigirudhu ( Illaarayaja 's composition ) ". I have
wondered myself, if Tamil Language could be handled in such a fashion.
Maniratnam wanted such a song for this situation.

Then came, Pudhu vellai Mazhai Ingu poyigindradhu. .. After the song was
picturised, could I realise, the justification behind Maniratnam asking me for
such lyrics.

For a film by name Pudiya Mugam, Dir Suresh Menon was starting towards Sri
Lanka. He wanted a song immediately to Rahman. A. R. Rahman told him, to go to
Lanka, and and that he would compose it and send it to him. Suresh Menon was
telling that if the song wasnt there, there would be no shooting. Then, Rahman
looked at me, and asked me if I had some song in my store. I told him,,,,,
yes... I have been waiting for 12 years with the lyrics of a song. I have been
waiting for this opportunity. I gave the lyrics immediately, and within 2 hrs,
Rahman composed the music for the lyrics. , and by the next day, it was sent to
Sri Lanka. That song is " Kannukku Mai Azagu ".

--
regards,
Vithur

ARR -- The Sweet Cube always