Vairamuthu Neram

*Vaaji Vaaji *

The first song that we wrote for Sivaji is " Vaaji Vaaji" song. While
writing this song itself, we got the feeling that this song will be a super
duper hit. The reasons are :-

   1. This is a Rajni Film
   2. This is a Shankar Film

When a great director like Shankar, and a star like Super Star joined hands,
along with the banner of AVM, we were sure that the expectations would be
very high, and this song exceeded those expectations. We worked very hard
for this song. Shankar wanted some different beginning in the first two
phrases of lyrics. I asked him " what sort of difference/"

Shankar lovingly knuckled at me saying, " Why don't you take us to heights
of ancient literature?".  In accordance to his request, the lyrics were
written thus,

*" Poombavai Ambal Ambal, Punnagaiyo Mavval Mavval*".

At the time of the song release, many enquired as to what is this Ambal and
Mavval.  The fact that no one knew about it was the greatness of those
words. After knowing that its not an easy word, and trying to understand it,
is the greatness of the language. So, we considered it to be a great victory
to have unearthed words belonging to the second century and applying them to
the modern day world.

When the words, " Vaaji Vaaji Vaaji, en jeevan Sivaji" sat comfortably with
the tune, Rahman clapped hands like a small baby. We expected this song to
reach heights, and it surpassed expectations. Everything is the Blessing of
the Language Tamil.

*About Maniratnam – ( He praises Manirathnam like anything )*

Maniratnam --- He is a Ratnam ( Diamond ) to the entire Indian cinema
Industry. Just not because he is my good friend that I am telling all this.
I am able to see his efforts and hard work in his films; the fine tuning;
the quality; the importance he gives to the script and the story; and above
all, the commitment that he puts on doing a film.

He dedicated his life, blood and soul for doing a film, and is a wonderful
director. Whenever , I work with him, I would feel that the urge in him to
raise the film to the heights of the lyrics and the literature or to make
the film itself a replica of the lyrics and literature.

One day, he invited me and asked, if I could bring certain works of mine
into a song. I asked him, " Whats the background?". There is a discothèque
and singers are singing there. At that situation, a song is needed. I asked
him, " Sir. How to write a poem in the discotheque situation?!".

Freshness and Discovery is what comes, when a thing can be made to join at  a
place where it usually cant be. He told, " You will do it". He requested for
some lyrics and work.  I asked him, " what?". And He told " The ones which
you have already written". He was having Kumudham in his hands.

I had written a work by name " Aaramboodham"  under the series of works
titled " Konjam Theneer Niraya Vaanam". He asked, if I could bring those
works into the song. A.R. Rahman 's tune is a Westernised one. It doesn't
fit into the hands. But this is a poem. He liked the lyrics

" Yakkai Thiri".  He asked, whats the meaning of Yakkai.

Yakkai means " BODY".

Love lightens itself by making the body itself as a wick ( thiri). The best
wick with which Love can burn itself is the Body.

He told me to get the lyrics, and told that the disoctheque song will get a
new form by itself.  With pain, we could insert those lyrics into the tune
of A.R. Rahman, and we could feel a new sort of current and energy flowing
into it.

A discotheque song having such wonderful Tamil Lyrics !!!. When everyone is
inserting English lyrics into everything, it was Maniratnam who made Tamil
sound as Tamil into such a situation, and the entire Tamil world would
celebrate Maniratnam.

*Kizhakku Cheemayile – Aathangara Maarame*

When this song was creating waves in the air, a Lecturer called me up from
Coimbatore. He told me " Enna pa ! All the things which we have forgotten;
the things that have been lost by Tamil Nadu has been brought into the song.
Oh what a beauty it is to bring back the memories of the past. Whatever you
have said in the song, the present day Tamil Nadu has forgotten  and lost
it.". So saying he repented.

He also told that it was the verandah ( Thinnai ) in the villages that he
loved the most. I asked him, " why you loved it the most?". He told me… "
The Verandah is not just alone a place by itself. It is a  place for social
gathering. The house has a place for the owner of the house to sleep inside.
Its only for the way goers that the verandah is there. Whoso ever, comes
asking for Alms requires this Verandah. It's a place which doesn't require
any one else's permission. Thinnai is the place which is the society's
window, and entrance.

I could highlight on the thinnai in this song . The song highlights on how
lovers can utilize and benefit out of the verandah.

" aathula Meenum Sungam Dhaana; Anname Unnaiyum ennaiyum Thooki
Valrtha *Thinnaiyum
*Sungam dhaana"

I never thought that this word Thinnai, would arose such an emotion in the
minds of a Age old lecturer somewhere in some corner of Tamil Nadu.

Long Live the Verandahs ( Thinnai) ; Long Live the Village Streets; It's the
identity of the streets which don't  realize the importance of the Thinnais
which is important.

Oh Tamil Nadu. Pls don't lose the Thinnais..

P.S. Audio Files would be uploaded soon

--
regards,
Vithur