Awesome observations Pradeep. A thoroughly enjoyable post!!

Thanks for your time !!!

----- Original Message ----
From: Pradeepan R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:20:31 PM
Subject: Re: [arr] What trends in ARR's music have you noticed from Roja to now?

Friends,
I've just poured out my mind.
Please don't get bored with it...Would love to hear other's perspectives on ARR
.
Earlier Trends in ARR Music:
1) sad / sombre songs:
 Early in his career, most of his sad songs were of typical soul/Blue genre.
 he used a repeating pattern .
eg:  Tu Hire - Bombay
     Oh Vennila - Kadhal Desam.
     Roja Jaaneman - Roja.
2) Use of a repeating loop with "plucked-string" instrument.
For many slow placed songs, he used a very simple repeating loop using
guitar/veena/ sitar/etc. ,
eg: Revival - Vande Mataram.
    Then Kizhaku cheemayila - Kizhaku Cheemayile
    Nila Kaaigiradhu - Indra (Hari Haran version)
3) Lavish use of 'Vocal' support from Backing singers in Interludes:
Many a times he has done entire interludes with just group vocals. (most cases
they words are just gibberish)
eg: Hairaba - jeans (2nd interlude)
    Kannum Kannum - Thiruda Thirurda rock song  (2nd interlude by Sujatha)
    Take it easy Urvasi - Kadhalan (Anupama in interlude)
    Kehna hi Kya/Kannalane - Bombay (female chorus for interlude)
    Lucky Lucky - Ratchagan (2nd interlude)
4) Use of Cello/Double Bass/Other Low-pitched instruments for Loop:
eg: Dil Se Re - Dil Se
    Romeo Aatam Potaal - Mr. Romeo
    Ishq Bina - Taal
    Anbe Anbe - Jeans.
    Hello doctor - Kadhal Desam
More Recent Trends in ARR Music.
5) Use of Guitar/other accoustic with slightly higher pitched sounds as loop :
(Compare with point 4)
eg: Kabhi Kabhi Aditi - JTYJN
    New York Nagaram  - SOK
    Lukka Chupi - RDB
    YeH tara  - Swades (tonk ta tonk ..tonk ta tonk loop)
    Akilan Akilan - Alai Payuthey
6) Declining use of a commercial Synthesizer loops:
This is a well known thing.
eg: Telephone Mani pol - Indian
Of late its his own Loop. SOmtimes additional rythm programmers are hired to do
specific songs.
7) Extravagant usage of Symphonic elements
We can see him preferring more & more symphonic sounding arrangements even to
ordinary present-day time movies.
eg: Increased use of strings as an accompaniment to the main singer throughtout
the song.
8) Declining use of the strange Flute sounds.
Why keep doing it when every other guy is now trying to do it.
So the flute pieces from Ay Rama (Rangeela) are not used much now.
But the flute still rules in ARR's studio.
9) Happier Tunes moving more towards Punjabi/Bhangra style.
   Beats moving from Disco style to more Reggae Style.
  classic eg:
Compare beats of Chicku Bukku (Gentleman) to latest Taxi Taxi (Sakkarakati)
Having said this, its still impossible to Define ARR or his music.
Every film in every period has had its share of innovation & surprise.
ARR is still a Work in Progress.... .
As I've said before, the last thing that I need is, to take a 5 year break to
Mars, and come back & find no difference in ARR's compositions.
A brilliant artist evolves with time. and ARR is that & much more.