Nice.. Just like him.

Here is my short account of my encounter with ARR.

Dec 19, 2003 :

I was on my way to India to catch up with family but took a week to explore
Istanbul and stopped over. I backpack a lot so Istanbul was always on my list.
I am muslim so went over for Friday Prayer to the beautiful Blue Mosque in
Sultanahmet. After getting done with my prayers as I was getting out, I noticed
an indian guy sitting there and instantly found him to be AR Rahman. I was
wondering what he was upto here. So, I lingered around in the mosque.

Man! does ARR pray! he was there for an additional half an hour in the mosque
and I should be ashamed I don't devote as much time to God as I should! A
lesson there - however big you get in this world, you are still nothing in
comparison to the almighty !

Anyways, he got out of the mosque and I went and met with him and shook his
hand and took a few pictures. He was there with a friend of his.

So, before I could ask anything starts asking me questions - where you from,
what you doing here, how long have you been here etc. etc. and I walk with him
back all the way to his hotel. he was staying at the Four Seasons Istanbul (
one of the best hotels in the world!). He told me he came for a week to attend
the Rumi Festival in Konya.

Rahman is very very down to earth. I don't know how the time went but he talked
as he was havign a conversation with anyone on the street.

My only regret is not having to continue the conversation. I would have surely
learnt a lot about him and his simplicity.

Well - for those interested in meeting him - there is a hint - get to Konya's
annual Rumi festival every mid december and you might get some alone time with
him! :)

ARR fan,
Mansoor