Actually in those period most of ARR's hindi albums were for dubbed
tamil films, and they released without any pre information to
bollywood audience. That's why they did average business. Also isn't
Hindustani (Kamal Hassan) also released in that period? Telephone
and Latka songs made some nice appearence among TV channels those
days...

Sapnay was really a best dubbed album, becoz great lyrics by Javed
Akhtar made it more appealing & enjoyable...!

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You are right, I missed Sapnay. The movie bombed but the music did
reasonably well, nowhere in the league of a Rangeela or Dil Se..,
though.

<catchgops@ ..>

> > There were only two, Kabhi Na Kabhi (1996), a movie once meant
to be
> his Hindi debut and was finally resuscitated from the cans and Daud
> (1997). Not sure what strong albums with good songs you are
referring
> to. The only dubbed film that was made for a pan-India market to
begin
> with, Indian did reasonably well in its Hindi version, musically
as well.

Nayak,
> > Love U Hamesha, Bose, MP did not do well at all at the cash
> > registers.  I think RDB broke that down period.
> >
> > I still believe that the period between 1998-2001 was Rahman's
first
> > and possibly not to be surpassed critical and commercial golden
era
> > relatively in both Tamil and Hindi.  Dil Se, Taal, Lagaan,
Zubeidaa,
> > Thakshak, Pukar, 1947 Earth, Doli Saja Ke Rakhana, Alai
Payuthey,