In Vairamuthu Neram in Radio,,, Vairamuthu himself said the following :-

Maniratnam asked Rahman to set the tune of the love song ( Pudhu vellai
Mazhai from ROJA ) to be like that of in Kashmir, and wanted the tune of the
song also to be chilling. Neither me nor A.R. Rahman could understand that.
How can the tune become chilling ?. Maniratnam wanted it to be like , a
chilling type, even when the song is heard. Nothing could be understood.
After hearing to many tunes, finally, he composed a tune in Kanada raga.
That is " Pudhu Vellai Mazhai song tune. When you hear the tune itself, it
would be like that of a chilling nature. The sweeetness of the tune itself
is like that. The uniqueness of the tune is the same. Maniratnam wanted me
to write lyrics which will chill out . Initially, I wrote the lyrics like ,

" Idhu Kashmirama, Ingu Kargalama. Yendhan Kovil Pura, indha kulir
thangumaaa". The song was considered to be excellent. Rahman liked it, and
Maniratnam also praised it. After everyone praised, Maniratnam told, that
for this tune, the lyrics cannot become more better. But, lets not have it
like this. I asked, " Why ?".

Maniratnam replied, " I am going to show Kashmir on the screen. Why are you
also reinstating on Kashmir by way of the lyrics. ?. Suppose, I lose the
opportunity to shoot the scenes in Kashmir, and take it in Ooty, then wont
it be a disgrace if the lyrics state that its Kashmir ? . Hence, Pls write
it in such a manner, that the lyrics are written in such a way, that no one
knows, where its is shot from. I got mesmerised, when I wrote the lyrics for
the song, " Ilaya Nila poyigirudhu ( Illaarayaja 's composition ) ". I have
wondered myself, if Tamil Language could be handled in such a fashion.
Maniratnam wanted such a song for this situation.

Then came, Pudhu vellai Mazhai Ingu poyigindradhu... After the song was
picturised, could I realise, the justification behind Maniratnam asking me
for such lyrics.

--
regards,
Vithur