Indeed a timeless classic ....

from naachgaana.com
http://www.naachgaana.com/2008/10/11/taal-music-review/

Hey y'all…lets revisit a timeless classic. Yes, a classic indeed. Ghai,
Rahman & Bakshi are the names behind such a brilliant album. I still
remember the first time I skimmed through the cassette tape. I wasn't
familiar with this type of music…it was very different…Rahman's
composition's were just out of this world. As days went by, I kept listening
and kept picking each note, each beat, each tune up…I started noticing
Rahman's arrangement and coordination…and then finally I realized that this
album will never be forgotten. Till this day, almost every month, I go back
and listen to the songs of Taal.

Ishq Bina - For many people the first track was the best track of the album.
I remember when I used to go to my local video store, girls would be humming
along to this track. My cousins would singing along to Bakshi Saab's amazing
lyrics. This track definitely goes down well with the females. Rahman uses a
singer named Anuradha. I never heard of her at that time. She does a
marvellous job on this track. She has a very sweet and innocent voice. Her
voice really suit's Ash's. Sonu comes in the middle of the track and shines
the help of Bakshi's poetic lyrics. Yet, in this track Rahman himself is the
complete show stealer. As he yells on top of his lungs, "Ishq Bina Kya Jeena
Yaaron…Ishq Bina Kya Marna Yaaron", you instantly get goosebumps on your
hand. The violins and the dholak are the huge standout's in this
composition. Super-Hit track.

Taal Se Taal - From the moment your hear Sukhwinder's voice eckoing in the
background you know that this track is going to be a huge success. Rahman's
violins, strings, dholaks and claps come together to create magic. Anand
Bakshi's lyrics are very real and pure. My favourite part is when Udit
enters the track he belts out some of Bakshi's finest words: Maana Anjaan
Hoon Tu Mere Vaaste…Maana Anjaan Hoon Main Tere Vaaste…Main Tujkho Jaan Loon
Tu Mujkho Jaan Le…Aah Dil Ke Paas Aah…Is Dil Ke Raaste…Jo Tera Haal, Woh
Mera Haal Hai…Is Haal Se Haal Mila…Taal Se Taal Mila. It was real nice to
see Alka apart of this album as well. She sounds like an angel here. This is
Alka at her finest. Well composed track indeed.

Nahin Samne - This is my favourite track from the lot. It's the slowest, yet
most purest track composed. Rahman makes Hari Haran sing…and boy does Hari
Saab sing…he sings his lungs out. This song is a probably one of the most
difficult songs to sing. Not everyone has the amount of lung power that Hari
Haran has. When he extends the note "Priyasi" it's like his voice reaches
heaven. For many years I tried singing this song…I just can't…it's too damn
hard. So I must give major props to Hari Haran. Lyrically, this is the best
song in this album. Anand Bakshi outdoes himself here. All you have to do is
close your eyes and you will find yourself lost in Rahman's composition. One
word to describe this track…Ethereal.

Kahin Aag Lage - I remember the first time I heard about this song. I wasn't
too attracted to it. Honestly, I ain't an Asha fan. I know she's like a
legend, one the queens of music. But as days progressed, this track got
really catchy. I was yelling Kuk Kuk KOOOOOOOOOOOOO and saying Aaavo
Saiyooooooooooooooo Aaavo Saiyooooooooo lol. Those little things Rahman saab
adds in the middle of this track are just too memorable. By the time the
promo came out I knew that this song will big big amongst the masses. People
will love it and they did so. Asha's work in this song is mind-blowing.
Today I have to admit that no one could of sung this song better than her.
The background singers should also get props, because their work really
added to this track. Good pacy track from Rahman here.

Ni Main Samajh Gayee - This seemed like an experimental track from Rahman.
There is only one beat from start to end. But AR is smart…he gets the two
most powerful singers to create magic. Sukhwinder and Richa Sharma get
together and hypnotize you. This is a hypnotic track that messes with your
head. You get so caught up with it that there is no way out. The biggest
plus point goes to the chemistry between the two singers. Anand Bakshi's
lyrics once again get the job done. The magician is mesmerizing here.

Ramta Jogi - This time around Rahman gives Sukhwinder his change to shine.
Sukhwinder takes this track to another level. His voice blends in perfectly
with Rahman's fantastic arrangements. Some may feel that this track is all
over the place, but for me everything clicked. One instrument that really
stands out in this track is the trumpet which is used in between Bakshi's
wise and accurate lyrics. If you carefully listen…you can hear water
splashing at the starting of the song…how the hell does Rahman do it…god
knows. Alka supports Sukhwinder beautifully. Great track.

Beat of Passion - This is an instrumental piece which can be described as
wierd & strange yet very interesting. It's something we never heard and
don't think we will ever hear again. Only a magician can compose something
like this.

Kariye Na - Rahman and Sukhwinder feed off each other very well…and it shows
on this track. Only Rahman can make Sukhwinder change his style. Here is a
song you would expect singers like Udit or Sonu to sing. It's a very soft,
soothing, melodious track in which Sukhwinder surprises everyone. From all
track this is probably the one with less arrangements and volume. Yet, that
does not mean its weaker the others. It's definitely a stand out. The song
is very simple and easy on the ears. I fell in love with it instantly. This
is probably the only track that has the "Ghai Stamp" on it. Lovely song,
lovely lyrics.

Raaga Dance - Yet another amazing piece of work from Rahman. This
instrumental will never be forgotten. I don't know what was better…Rahman's
instrumental or the way that Ghai picturized this piece.

Taal Se Taal Western - This is more a remixed version of Taal Se Taal.
Rahman outdoes himself here. I don't know how many times I have heard this
track. It's just amazing. Rahman gets your body moving, your head knodding
and your foot tapping. JAM…LIKE THAT hahahahaha. Sukhwinder rocks here. If
someone was to remix this version of Taal Se Taal…I would seriously kill em.
Who needs to? It can't get any better than this.

Ishq Bina - This is the second version of Ishq Bina. It's a darker version.
It's sad and haunting, yet soft and melodious. It's everything Rahman can
throw at you. Kavitha's voice blends in beautifully with AR's arrangements.
As for Baskhi Saab…this is what you call meaningful lyrics. From the 4:25
mark and beyond…the track takes a different route. I have no words for
it…it's undescribable. I don't think I have heard anything like it. It turns
you upside down and flips you around. We have background singers and a few
lyrics…at that point there is nothing but only Rahman and his instruments
doing the work. He goes completely insane…and I mean that in a good way…WOW.

This is Rahman's finest album till date. Many might disagree…but that's how
I feel. Rahman's magic, Ghai's vision and Bakshi's words come together to
create a classic album.

--
-A
http://viewsnmuse.blogspot.com