http://www.naachgaana.com/2008/10/16/yuvvraaj-sheru-bhais-music-review/

Yuvvraaj is my most awaited film of the year. Part of the reason why I am
eagerly awaiting this film was because of the Ghai-Rahman combination. When
they got together for Taal…it was pure magic. Just a week ago I revisited
Rahman's Taal and after hearing the album I thought to myself that it is
going to be a hard task to even come close to this album. So can Ghai and
Rahman create magic once again…does Yuvvraaj come close to Taal???

Main Yuvvraaj - This isn't a song, it's just Bethoven's famous instrumental
and Salman's famous showoff speach combined together. As usual Salman is
bragging about himself…that he's this and that he's that…WHATEVER, JUST
SKIP.

Tu Hi To Meri Dost - Just when your hear Banista Banista echoing in the
back, you instantly tell yourself that Rahman has a wonderful composition up
his sleave. Yes, wonderful it is. Rahman Saab uses violins and the piano to
create a foot tapping, chart busting track. Doesnt Benny Dayal sound like
Kamal Khan? Anyways, Benny does a marvellous job here. This goes out to show
how much trust Rahman has in his singers. This song could have been sung by
Sonu or Udit, yet it went to a newcomer. Rahman enters the track towards the
end as he combines his voice with Shreya's. Shreya is perfect on this track.
She sounds more mature and sultry here. This is a catchy track that you will
fall for instantly.

Shano Shano - Rahman picks up the pace as he uses hip/hop/RnB/techno beats
to create this number. The techno beats really stand out and add flavor to
this track. This track itself is all over the place. There is a lot going on
and sometimes it's hard to catch the lines. Yet the lines that we do pick up
are very catchy, for example, "Shano Shano get on the floor". Srinivas and
Karthik are decent on this track, while Sonu obviously stands out as he
enters the scene towards the middle of the track. Some people will like it,
some people will hate it. I adore it…this is the best track to play in your
car…trust me lol. The remix version is high on hip hop and rap. As usual
Indian singers are trying to act like North American rappers. It's a good
remix, today's youth will relate to it….no dull moments for sure.

Tu Muskura - After two foot-tapping numbers, Rahman decides to slow the pace
down. Rahman gets the 90's singing queen, Alka Yagnik, to lend her voice to
this smooth, soft, lovely composition. I've been hearing a lot of complaints
about Alka on this forum. But hey, she's survived throughout the 90's and
she is still giving us some great songs till today…show a little respect
please. She shines in this number. She is not screechy, she isn't over the
top. She's just perfect. Javed Ali excells on this track. Ali has a lot of
range and Rahman knows it, picks it up and uses it wisely. Finally we get
some decent lyrics from Gulzar Saab here. Very impressive track indeed.

Mastam Mastam - Rahman starts this track off on a different note. Rahman
adds some African tribal sort of arrangements and then blends in some
European-Scottish type of beats & claps. The only thing annoying are those
animal noises in the background. Sonu brings his charisma into this number.
He is sauve, witty, clever and smooth. He's the perfect choice for this
track. Alka supports him wondefully. You get a glimpse of Rahman's magic
towards the end of this composition where he brings in all his arrangements
together and amazes you. Nice track indeed.

Zindagi - First of all let me say that I am very proud of this track. What
brings a smile to my face is that this track will be picturized on my
favorite actor…Anil Kapoor. This track has Rahman written all over it. The
harmonica is brilliantly used. It's a mellow, smooth, hearty song that
touches your soul. The show stealer here is Srinivas. Srinivas where have
you been??? I hope to see more of this singer because he is just way too
talented. This is a stand out number. Rahman slows everything down and let's
Srinivas shine like never before. Gripping and touchy track indeed.

Dil Ka Rishta - One song that even comes close to any song in Taal is this
track. This track proves that Rahman Saab is the best musician we have in
India. I don't think even the top producers in North America can compose a
track like this. Dil Ka Rishta is a haunting yet very touching track. Gulzar
has given lyrics in english and hindi for this track. The track is pure
magic from the moment Roopkumar Rathod enters the scene. Sonu's vocals blend
in beautifully with Rahman's background score. While Rahman's saregamapa ni
sa re sa act lives on. The biggest applause goes out to the background
vocalists who do an amazing job on this number. They take this track to a
higher level. Instrumentation…we got cello's, piano's, guitars, saxaphones,
trumpets, violins and drums…Rahman has it all on this track. I can't wait to
see the picturization for this track…this is my favorite from the lot.

Manmohini Morey - Is this suppose to be a remix version of some old
classical track??? I do not know. All I know is that is more like an
experimental track for Rahman Saab. Vijay Prakash…I don't remember who he
is? But he has done a excellent job here. He is definitely a fine singer and
it shows. This man is totally in command of this track. Rahman adds his own
flavor to this classical number. He adds some of the latest beats and turns
this track around. Good track indeed.

So…where does this all leave us. The people that know me on this forum also
know how much I was awaiting the music for this film. Some might say I am
being bias. I am a Rahman fan, Ghai fan, Anil fan and gulzar fan…yeah I
think Katrina is hot as hell. But I loved the music here. It doesn't come
where anywhere near Taal. No where near Dil Se. No where near Lagaan. Yet it
leaves a mark. It's an album that should be bought. Several years down the
line you can see yourself listening to these tracks. It's not Rahman at his
best, it's Rahman delivering as usual. I would go on and say that this is
his best album this year…for me it's leaps ahead of Jaane Na Ya Jaane Tu…and
fairly better than Jodha Akbhar. I thought I would be disappointed after
hearing so many mixed responses…but Rahman has lived up to my expectations.
Gulzar's lyrics aren't that great here…I agree. Ghai's vision is there,
Rahman's arrangements are there, but Gulzar's lyrics aren't really there.
Many will go on to compare this album with Taal and write it off…but Taal
and Yuvvraaj are totally different films…therefore the music will be totally
different as well…but like I said…Yuvvraaj doesn't come close to Taal…yet
it's not a disappointment.
--
-A
http://viewsnmuse.blogspot.com