Thanks Gopal for all these amazing reviews of Slumdog.  You've been
on the ball with posting all these reviews and I can tell that you
too are very excited and eager to see this movie.  Frankly, I can't
remember a movie getting this amount of praise and appreciation!  So
awesome that ARR is associated with this film.  Hope he gets an Oscar
for the music.

Wow, what a treat.....Ghajini....Slumdog....Connections.....man, what
a year this has been!!!!!

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Slumdog Millionaire - a vibrantly wonderful film Got to watch this
incredibly brilliant film, Slumdog Millionaire, on
> thursday. I have to admit that I haven't watched Danny Boyle's
> Trainspotting or 28 weeks later, both of which are critically
acclaimed
> and claimed to be classics. The only reason I got interested in this
> movie was AR Rahman. I was totally unaware of this project at the
> beginning, and then started this buzz that a film based on India got
> rave reviews in London film festival. Further digging into the
subject
> revealed the fact that the music was composed by our own Rahman.
What
> more can I say, this movie got added to my list of "everyday
updates".

> SdM
> is a movie based on a novel Q&A by Vikas Swarup, an Indian
> Diplomat. Set in India, it tells the story of Jamal, a "Chai wala"
> working in a call center, who becomes the biggest quiz-show winner
in
> history, only to be sent to jail on accusations that he cheated. The
> movie goes on to tell us how by drawing from the experiences of his
own
> short, yet turbulent and sometimes cruel life he, essentially a
> slumdog, managed to answer all the twelve questions that led him to
the
> jackpot, and more importantly get his girl.
>
> As this was a free
> screening, the line was pretty long and most of the audience were
> non-Indians. I think I just spotted one or two desis, which made me
> feel special, one of the very few Indians for a movie based
entirely on
> India. There are many reviews giving pretty high ratings for this
movie
> and believe me it truly deserves it. Every scene and detail has been
> handled very carefully. Even things like subtitles (as there are
> initial scenes of children completely in hindi) was done so
playfully
> and colorfully. You won't find them at their usual place with white
> colored fonts, instead they go around the big screen in a way that
you
> concentrate on the scene as well as the words. Master stroke !!
Also I
> loved the way the music blended with the movie. It was a big
> opportunity for Rahman to showcase his talent and he has pulled it
off
> brilliantly. The background score was amazing. There were times
when I
> didn't know if it was Danny Boyle's direction or Rahman's music
which
> made the scene either so romantic or so intense. I think it was a
> perfect marriage. There are two songs featured in the movie which
give
> a breath of fresh air amidst moments of heartbreak, tragedy and
drama,
> MIA Paper planes song which comes at an important juncture of the
film
> and the grand Bollywood song-and-dance number which comes right at
the
> end. Danny Boyle makes sure that everyone leaving the theater leave
in
> their best spirits and with a wide smile of their faces.
>
> Another
> highlight of this movie is its memory narrated structure. It keeps
> going back and forth from the game show to the jail to Jamal's past
> experiences, all of them culminating at a pulsating finale. Acting
also
> needs a special mention, as everyone right from the young children
did
> a fantastic job. For about an hour or so the two young kids carry
the
> entire movie in their shoulders which was incredible. Their scenes
> actually were the most impressive for me and touching. And then
there
> were veterans Irfan Khan and Anil Kapoor who did their part with
great
> panache. Latika(Freida Pinto) was simply beautiful and Jamal(Dev
Patel)
> was extremely believable and so relatable. I'm sure we'll see more
of
> this young lad in the coming years.
>
> SdM is a journey through
> that part of India which is seldom seen or heard these days. It
boldly
> showcases that section of people who are at the most neglected both
by
> the huge Indian media and the government. I'm sure no Indian film
maker
> would have dared to touch such a subject thinking about money
prospects
> and for that I thank Danny Boyle for presenting this movie in such a
> delightful fashion. I hope he gets the gold, if u know what I mean.
The