Sukhwinder sang wto songs for Yuvraaj???? wonder why Ghai decided to
not to include them in final version.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Bollywood hitman
> ACE SINGER SUKHWINDER SINGH IS BELTING OUT A NON-STOP STRING OF HITS
AND IS EVEN TRYING HIS HAND AT ACTING, SAYS NANDINI GUHA

> Sukhwinder Singh has the nation dancing to his tunes
> Sukhwinder Singh has the nation dancing to his tunes
> It’s
> a tough call for ace singer Sukhwinder Singh. He may have India
dancing
> to his tunes but it’s not easy to order a dish of boiled
vegetables at
> a restaurant famed for its meaty and authentic Frontier cuisine. But
> the singer who’s a fussy eater and a fitness freak isn’t about
to give
> up easily.
> In
> between the veggy hunt, Singh can’t stop talking about his new
projects
> in Mumbai and Hollywood and also his famous friends and mentors,
A.R.
> Rahman and Shah Rukh Khan. Today Sukhwinder is one of Bollywood’s
> busiest singers and he has delivered back-to-back hits in recent
years.
> He’s flooded with offers and has a busy few months ahead.
> Both
> Khan and Rahman figure in Sukhwinder’s upcoming projects and his
world
> of melody. King Khan and Sukhwinder (the two have come a long way
since Chaiyya Chaiyya in 1998 to Chak De in 2007) are once
> again working together in a film â€" only this time Sukhwinder will
be
> acting in the movie and not just playback singing.
> The
> budding actor refuses to reveal the movie’s title and director,
but he
> promises that it’s a big project being produced by a well-known
banner.
> “Nobody will question this move once they see me on screen as an
> actor,” he says, brimming with the same energy that’s always
visible â€"
> and audible â€" when he’s singing.
>
> Sukhwinder’s
> songs (from top) in Chak De and Tashan were chartbusters; A moment
from
> the singer’s Huale haule track from the upcoming Rab Ne Bana Di
Jodi
> It was Rahman who pushed Sukhwinder into the big time by virtually
gifting him the magical Chaiyya Chaiyya number in Dil Se (1998). Few
know this but before the singer met Rahman he had dabbled in Hindi
playback and had even cut a Punjabibhangra album, Munda Southall Da.
However, his music hadn’t been noticed.
> Now
> a collaboration with Rahman is already underway and the new music
album
> will be ready for release by next March. “In this one I have
explored
> Sufi music to the fullest â€" and I promise my fans that we will
deliver
> world class music,” says Singh.
> Also coming up in early December is the Shah Rukh Khan-starrer,
Aditya Chopra-directed Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
> “I think the songs are going to be a huge hit, like all Shah
> Rukh-Sukhwinder joint ventures. As for Shah Rukh, I knew from the
time
> that Rahman first introduced me to him that we would be a hit jodi,â
€™â€™ he says.
> Sukhwinder
> has been working overtime in recent months. Another film that’s
waiting
> in the wings for a release is Mani Ratnam’s Ravana. “It’s an
> interesting project since I am singing for a man who is evil but has
> smiling face in this film. That calls for diplomacy,” he says,
> laughing. The film stars Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai
Bachchan
> and will be released in Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.
> Ratnam and Sukhwinder go back a long way to the Dil Se days when
they hit the jackpot with Chaiyya Chaiyya, a song that was voted by
BBC as one of the most popular songs of all time.
> Sukhwinder turns nostalgic when he thinks back to the period. “I
had been hearing Thaiya Thaiya (which actually was the  inspiration
for Chaiyya Chaiyya) in dargahs even before I met Rahman. Thaiya
Thaiya was written by Sufi saint, Pir Baba Bulleh Shah, expressing his
love for God.”
> “When I finally met Rahman and sang Thaiya Thaiya,
> he took me to the prayer room atop his house and asked me to rest
for a
> while. I slept. After six hours, the orchestra was arranged and we
were
> ready to record the song. At that point I didn’t even know that
the
> song was going to be picturised on Shah Rukh for Dil Se,’’ he
> says. The singer believes the song was a hit because it was an
> expression of love and pain â€" which is the very essence of Sufism.
>
> Sukhwinder
> with director Subhash Ghai; (Below) At A.R. Rahman’s Unity of
Light
> Concert in Calcutta a few years ago
> Other music directors, too, are all praise for Sukhwinder. Vishal
Dadlani, who worked with Sukhwinder on Omkara and Tashan, says: “His
knowledge of music and range of  expression is fascinating. He can
combine the madness of Chaiyya Chaiyya with the restraint of Chak De.
We did Dil Haara and Omkara with him and nobody else could have sung
those numbers like him.”
> Though
> Sukhwinder has sung more than 100 playback songs for directors
> including Subhas Ghai and Mani Ratnam, he finds Deepa Mehta the
> strictest of them all. “She’s the hardest taskmaster amongst
them all.
> I realised that when I shot for Water.”
> But,
> as he digs into his platter of boiled vegetables, he throws in a
gentle
> aside: “But unlike Ratnam Sir, not everybody has an ear for
music.”
> Most Bollywood directors are full of praise for Sukhwinder. Ghai and
Sukhwinder have worked together in Yuvraj that’s scheduled to be
released end- November. Sukhwinder has sung two
> numbers in the movie. “We are good partners in business and great
> friends. Sukhwinder’s songs have done wonders for my films,” says
Ghai.
> It
> could well be said that Sukhwinder was born to Bollywood with a
> veritable silver spoon in his mouth. Music director Pyarelal recalls
> how he along with his music partner, Laxmikant “brought up”
Sukhwinder
> in Mumbai.
> In
> fact, when Sukhwinder moved to Mumbai, he lived with Laxmikant and
> arranged music for the Laxmikant Pyarelal combine. “One result of
his
> early initiation into the industry was that he made his debut in
1991
> with our song, Aa ja Sanam, for a Madhuri Dixit starrer,Khilaaf.
Sadly, the song went unnoticed. He worked with us for a while and then
moved to Europe and the US,” recalls Pyarelal.

> Dil Se gave Sukhwinder the
> unforgettable chart-topper Chaiyya chaiyya
> When Sukhwinder returned
> to India in the late ’90s, he started working with Rahman and his
> career went into vertical takeoff. Says Pyarelal: “Sukhwinder has
his
> own style of music. His voice quality is excellent and though his
> career took off with Chaiyya Chaiyya, he has done equally well in
Chak De. This goes to prove that he’s versatile and has a great
future ahead of him.”
> Sukhwinder’s
> also very excited about his next Hollywood venture, a film being
made
> by Hollywood director Sir Spike Lee. It was Lee who used Singh’s
Chaiyya Chaiyya in his 2006 Hollywood blockbuster, Inside Man. “This
time, Lee has promised that my music will be used all through the film
â€" from the beginning to the end,” he says.
> Apart from all this, Sukhwinder has also sung  recently for Danny
Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire,
> again to a tune by Rahman. Unlike some others, Sukhwinder is all
praise
> for the “professional” Hollywood producers and says that they
allowed
> their directors and actors to work without pressure. “That is not
what
> happens here,” he says thoughtfully.
> Sukhwinder’s also one of the high- profile judges in the
television show, Amul Star Voice of India2 (on Star Plus), compered by
singer Shaan. But he has harsh words about
> reality shows. “I am against reality shows per se. Most of these
shows
> play with the careers of young singers. I think TV censorship should
be
> introduced so that we can stop the exploitation of young talent. I
am
> part of it as I wanted to see if I could make a difference,” he
says.
> As a judge, Sukhwinder tries to ensure that the participating
> youngsters do not quit studies and he does his best to encourage
them
> even if they fail to deliver.
> The
> boiled veggies have given away an important detail about Sukhwinder.
> The fact is that he’s a health-freak and visibly winces at the
machchli kebab on his plate. “Please get me lots of ghas phus. You
know, people hate steamed or boiled food because it is tastes so dull.
Add a dash of lime and amchur and you can transform bland food easily.
And yes, I know because I’m a
> good cook,” he says, ordering two glasses of chilled milk.
> So
> what happens when Sukhwinder is travelling? “I try to avoid
restaurant
> food as much as possible. Whether I’m in Paris or Vancouver for a
show,
> I manage to get dal, roti, sabzi, chicken cooked by friends or even
fans,’’ he says.
> His
> daily routine too reflects his cautious lifestyle. Every morning a
> 45-minute session of cartoon watching is followed by drinking a
glass
> of cold milk and exercising for two to three hours at the gym in his
> home. He works out on the treadmill and lifts weights while
listening
> to his own music.
> Leisure
> means chilling out with friends at home (often over a glass of red
> wine) or dating women friends. “Flirtation is a passion and I have
at
> least 60 to 70 women friends but I’m not seriously involved with
> anyone,” he says, dodging the issue of marriage and relationships.
> For
> company he has his two dogs, Jojo and Toby, who are, of course, avid
> fans and hang about when he is composing or singing his
chartbusters.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1081123/jsp/graphiti/story_10143603.jsp