http://www.screenindia.com/news/-I-am-very-strict-about-my-riyaaz--/390449/

*Music runs through her veins, as Runa Rizvi is the daughter of famed ghazal
singer Rajkumar Rizvi and singer Indrani Rizvi. She has now entered the
playback fray*
Runa owes her new break in movies to A.R. Rahman, even though she is into
music since she can remember. She even has a small jazz band. How do ghazal
and jazz jell with each other?

Runa says that both Indian classical and Western musical influences are very
strong within her. "If my parents are into Indian music, I have also learnt
jazz in New York for about five to six years. Back in India, I have gone
also into thumri and Sufiana music and learnt voice modulation, diction
training and workshops in classical music. As for my band, I sing the
classical songs and they do their job!" she says with that ready smile.

The singer belongs to the Kalavant Gharana and has been trained in
classical, semi-classical and light classical music and is proficient at
ghazals, thumri, folk, Punjabi and Sufi Music, having started performing at
the tender age of six with her father and guru and training even earlier.

But playback, says Runa, excites her. Classical training, she insists, is
the base of everything in music but while in a classical performance, an
artiste can even have an hour as creative space to improvise and show off
his skills, a song in a movie is decidedly more challenging. "You have just
four or five minutes," says Runa. "And in that short time you have to
deliver anything from a simple melody to a club number with all the musical
demands, expression, diction and emotions." She recalls her father's
closeness to the late Madan Mohan and others and his singing Laila Majnu do
badan ek jaan with Anuradha Paudwal and Preeti Sagar in the 1976 Laila
Majnu.

Runa made her playback duet four years ago in her friend Sandesh Shandilya's
film Uff...Kya Jaadoo Mohabbat Hai! produced by Rajjat Barjatya for Rajshri
Productions. "It was a beautiful duet named Shukriya with Kunal Ganjawala,"
says Runa. "I am grateful to the Barjatyas and Sandeshji for thinking of
me." Runa has also sung Jeene ka and Har kafan under Amar Mohile's baton in
Ram Gopal Varma's Contract.

So how did Jaane tu mera kya hai come about with a combination as heady as
A.R.Rahman with Aamir Khan and Abbas Tyrewala?

Smiles the singer, "I was called to sing all the alaaps and vocals for (the
background score of) Jagmohan Mundhra's Provoked - A True Story by
Rahman-sir. He must have liked my voice and singing, for in fifteen days he
called for me to record this song." The singer is delighted that after the
film's success, the song has been finally included in the movie on popular
demand.
And how did Provoked... happen? "I know someone from the music industry
whose judgement Rahman-sir trusts completely," she says mysteriously.

The ghazal, says Runa, is in her blood. "My roots are so strong that
experimenting with Western and fusion to appeal to a wider and younger
audience will never compromise that foundation," she declares when I ask her
whether this Western influence will gradually seep in and affect her basic
skills."

Western music has its classical and folk roots that are centuries old. So
why is the term 'contemporary' synonymous with Western music and
'traditional' with Indian music?

Smiles Runa, "Yes, I guess that is true of today. All I can say is that our
music is very intense, but because the patience level of the audience is
less now and the world is becoming smaller, the Western element has become
important."

Among her career highs, Runa has also had the opportunity to perform with
and share the same stage with legends like Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia,
Jagjit Singh and Mehdi Hasan. On February 17, 2006, she was introduced as
"The Young Maestro In Sufi Music" at the launch of the Indian Music Academy
and performed in the presence of former president APJ Abdul Kalam.

Runa has also performed and worked with artistes like Leslie Lewis, Ustad
Sultan Khan, Abhijeet, Mahalakshmi and Jaspinder Nirula. Not only has she
performed internationally in U.K., USA and Canada, but she also conducts
regular workshops in Indian classical music with her father every year in
New York, Chicago, Washington and Toronto. She has also done shows with
Bappi Lahiri and sung on the album Catwalk with music by Bappa Lahiri.

"I am very strict about my riyaaz," says the lady who has recorded a song
for Bapi-Tutul in The Flag and with A.R.Rahman again for Shyam Benegal's
Chamku Chameli and a film that for now cannot be mentioned. Pritam, Lalit
Pandit and Salim-Sulaiman are the other composers with whom she is working,
and there is also an album coming up.

--
regards,
Vithur