Slumdog Millionaire - music review.
If you have no clue about Slumdog Millionaire is, you might want to read this
first.
Firstly, the album of Slumdog Millionaire is not your conventional
album, it is a collection of the major pieces and songs that go on in
the background; some instrumentals and some vocal tracks put in an
almost chronological order of appearance in the movie. The sound is a
mixture of heavy percussions and Indian classical music.
Note : If I reference to scenes or parts in the movie, they are
enclosed within <M> and </M>, especially for those who
haven’t seen the movie.  Do not be too curious else you might spoil the
movie for yourself.
As expected, it kicks off with O .. Saaya with heavy percussions. A.R. Rahman
and M.I.A. take care of the singing. Don’t bother understanding what Rahman
sings, more often than not you wouldn’t have a clue.
<M> Really catchy and it sets the pace in the movie, as
the kids run through the slums followed by an overweight hawaldar
</M>.
The next track is Riots, which is just some rhythm loops and a
couple of other sounds thrown in. Quite passable and not really
deserving a separate soundtrack.
Now this is a great track. Called Mausam & Escape, it starts
with some Indian classical guitar playing accompanied by acoustic
rhythms, then suddenly shoots into some amazing sitar playing, heavy
percussions and catchy rhythm loops.
<M> This starts when Jamal is waiting at the platform for
Latika and continues into the chase as Jamal tries to stop the gang
from taking her forcibly. I am sure you remember this track. </M>
Paper Planes is the single by M.I.A. that was a recent hit in
Britain. This is taken as it is without any changes. It is a nice track
but makes for spectacular viewing in the movie as a train travels
through deserts, cities, green plains and mountains. India in 2
minutes. The trailer which features the above scene and track is here.
Paper Planes Remix is okayish and passable. It does not feature in the movie.
Ringa Ringa is a very interesting song. Rahman acknowledged in an interview
that he used the ‘Choli ke peeche’ track of Laxmikant-Pyarelal in this
album. As you listen to this track, you would probably realize what the
word ‘inspiration’, so overused in the Indian music industry, really
means. He uses the same singers Ila Arun and Alka Yagnik, heavier
background rhythms and a completely different tune but which constantly
reminds you of the original track.
<M> This track features as Jamal and Salim walk in Kamathipura (or some similar
place) to find Latika. </M>
Liquid Dance, I cannot recollect where it appears in the movie, is a
tarana, with the syllables of a tarana, strings that are western
classical (remotely resembling the Spirit of Rangeela tune) and heavy
percussions again. Nicely done, but resembles a background track rather
than a standalone soundtrack.
Latika’s Theme is a masterpiece. The track is just humming, which
plays often in the movie and one of the most soothing tracks you would
have heard in a long long time.
The next is Aaj ki Raat, which is the same track as it is from the
Don OST. I thought there would be some changes, but a quick waveform
analysis showed none [:)]. So if you loved the original track but if
you didn’t like this, please consult a doctor.
The Millionaire track is another fast track which sounds brilliant
in the movie, simply brilliant. This leads to  one of the highest
points in the movie.
<M> This plays as the country readies itself for the Who
Wants To Be A Millionaire show, where everyone is hoping that the first
rags to riches story will come true on the show </M>
Gansta Blues is quite passable, which sounds like a track to utilize
the 20 hours/week from rapper Blaaze. I cannot recollect when it plays
in the movie.
Dreams On Fire is the vocal version of Latika’s theme, again sung
beautifully by the same singer Suzanne. Although I would prefer the
humming version anyday.
Now for the final soundtrack which is probably the best track in the
album, although I am sure to get opposing views. Sung by Sukhwinder
Singh, Tanvi Shah & Mahalaxmi Iyer with the best parts in the song
taken by Rahman, deservedly so. Lyrics by Gulzar, it is your
conventional Bollywood song, and one of the better compositions of
Rahman in recent times. This plays at the very end of the movie and the
visuals that accompany it are going to be pleasantly surprising for
everyone watching the movie. Oh and this track ensures that no one
leaves the theater till the last credit has rolled by. Then the lights
come on, and if there are enough females in the room, you might also
catch a few with tears in their eyes at the end.
P.S. : I propose a ban on the release of more than 1 album of A.R. Rahman
within a span of 2 weeks.

http://iyerdeepak.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/slumdog-millionaire-music-review/